Trusted Contributor

Re: BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY BRINGS THE ATMOSPHERE

[ Edited ]

I enjoyed these. Love the nuances. 

I’m a studier. I look carefully at things and pictures and scenes in movies and tv. I notice things that others missed. I often catch bloopers or inconsistencies in scenes. What does this have to do with the special photos? Nothing, except I like the details. 🙂

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @ScarletDove !

@vsm,  how cute to have a miniaturized version of that image, hanging in a doll house!  It is indeed charming.  Thanks for the additional info on his work-- very interesting.  The people in the nineteenth century who were early to see the endless possibilities with photography seem to be a fascinating bunch.

Thank you, kind @Lucky Charm --  much appreciated.

@Teddie--  the "studiers" like you are such a boone--  finding things that others overlook.  It's almost like an 'extra' sense you have working for you, one that's especially valuable in the world of art and complex images...

Honored Contributor

I finally found one of the hauntingly stylized photographic self-portraits Dare Wright took, that I had wanted to post yesterday.  It's in her biography by Jean Nathan.  She took it I think before one of her cocktail parties.  Her "dress-up" clothes were always marvels of invention, with stunning fabrics, etc. 

The image to me has an eerie almost "Marie Antoinette" feeling of delicacy and 'un-reality'..... 

Screenshot_2021-05-21 Pin by Kristin Halgedahl on Books Worth Reading Classic childrens books, True art, Vintage photography.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for these examples of black and white photography.

I have a few portraits of my mother as a wee little girl, in black and white, now about 100 years old.  They are so stunning and beautiful, as she was, with such an angelic face and a mop of blonde curly hair.  Like Shirley Temple, I think.  

As a contrast, I have two old Wallace Nutting prints, handed down to me.  That was the era when black and white photographs were hand-colored to look more “realistic.”  I gave a larger picture to my DB.  He and I both love all forms of art, each into our favorite forms.  He loves watercolors and I love Early American art forms.  I took lessons for years, and he is now taking lessons from an artist in his retirement.  My DH loves photography.

Honored Contributor

I adore black and white photography, I think it has a special charm.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT,  those old family photos are just irreplaceable.  Yours of your mother sound lovely.  I have a cherished one of mine in her long christening dress, but my sister now thinks it was our uncle as a baby instead!   Love it, regardless.

Me too, @RetRN .   Your term, "a special charm" is so apt. 

Honored Contributor

My husband does phototgraphy and he too likes B & W.  Ansel Adams did wonderful picture taking too.  My husband also does color.  That first photo made me think of the nurse and sailor picture after WWII.

Honored Contributor

It does remind me of that end of World War II kiss also, @qualitygal !

So agreed about the magnificent Ansel Adams.  You just reminded me, hubby has an Ansel Adams print in the attic with the glass cracked-- we MUST have that repaired so can display!

Honored Contributor

Every picture has feeling and emotion , they all tell a story.  I love the one of Bogie and Bacall, the Grand Canyon is just beautiful and the the two children  a treasure!!!!  I admire all of the pictures and love that they are black and white photos.

Oznell, I must ask you something about a very recent post.  It was a video of a home designer, I apologize for not remembering her name.  I watched the video, was ready to respond and it disappeared!  Was there a reason for this?  It was abut a 46 minute long video and the designer had blond hair.  Sorry for the poor description.

Thanks for this post, it is such an interesting fun trip whenever photos come my way!

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's nice of you to ask, thanks @spiderw .   I was baffled at that too!   After some thought, I guessed that someone didn't like the fact that the video was sponsored? So it was yanked, vanishing without any explanation.   It's a bit confusing, b/c if I'm not mistaken, maybe under some circumstances some youtube videos that have some kind of sponsorship are allowed, and some not?  But I could be wrong.

I almost never notice that stuff, so bedazzled am I by the decorating content of videos!   Wasn't her house luscious?  Apparently it is a wine-making family, and they are crazy about antiques, vintage books and maps.  After the earthquake, they did a sensitive restoration of their Victorian house.

Did you have a specific question or comment about that house?  If so, I'll try to answer it!