Honored Contributor

Re: BIG tree in California didn't survive!

Thanks so much for the link, @ValuSkr !

Interesting:

"The tree had been among the most popular features of the state park since the late 1800s. The tunnel had graffiti dating to the 1800s, when visitors were encouraged to etch their names into the bark."

It has one small living branch at the top that grew out of it.  Sometimes when that happens, they try to save it and replant, carrying on the DNA of the original tree.  I hope they do that.

A lot of CA trees were damaged by this past drought... sad.

Honored Contributor

I remember it well.

Smiley Sad  

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Here's an NPR article about the tree with before and after pictures.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/09/508919216/iconic-sequoia-tunnel-tree-brought-down-...

It says tunnel trees were popular in the 1800's, used to promote tourism.  I don't think they're made any more.

We have several Drive-Through redwood trees up here.

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=2464

ShrineDriveThruTree.DanCheek.t.jpg

This opening was created by nature, not man.

Respected Contributor

How sad my towns 600 plus year old white oak died this past summer. It was the oldest one in North America. Rumours of Betsy Ross being buried under it abound.

( The Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church built their church and a cemetary in 1700's when the tree was already at least 300 years old.) It's still standing but no longer alive. So sad.Ancient White Oak.jpg

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

How sad my towns 600 plus year old white oak died this past summer. It was the oldest one in North America. Rumours of Betsy Ross being buried under it abound.

( The Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church built their church and a cemetary in 1700's when the tree was already at least 300 years old.) It's still standing but no longer alive. So sad.Ancient White Oak.jpg

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

( The Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church built their church and a cemetary in 1700's when the tree was already at least 300 years old.) It's still standing but no longer alive. So sad.Ancient White Oak.jpgSo beautiful! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I have apricot tree that is way over 100 years old.It was planted by great grand father.It is hallo, but still produces apricots. 

Honored Contributor

I am so not good at gardening.  What does 'hallo' mean?  I tried Googling it and it changed it to hello.   oops!  hehe

I just hate to see any tree die.   I have one dead tree in my backyard.  It's a big, beautiful tree.  Well, it was.  Then my husband had some idiot cut on it (because he trusts everybody. argh) and he killed it.   He calls it a 'willow' so I guess that's its name.   Still standing, though, and the birdies love it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Nothing lasts forever, including trees. Hopefully people will not blame it on  global warming or such nonsense. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Nothing lasts forever, including trees. Hopefully people will not blame it on  global warming or such nonsense. 

No one has, why would you bring it up, it's baiting.

Honored Contributor

There is wonderful work being done with preserving old trees, it's become a passion for some environmentalists.

They are taking sprouts and segments of old trees still viable, copying the DNA and regrowing parts of those trees in protected areas.

A wonderful project imo!