Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Re Beyond Meat: It's Beyond Me why vegans - if they don't like meat - nevertheless want products that look and taste like real meat.

@ValuSkr 

You may have missed a vital point here.

I am a Lacto / Ova Vegetarian and have been for decades.

Never have I said I do not like meat.  Instead I made a conscious decision not to eat meat, or meat products.

This decision is based on not wanting to be part of the death and slaughter of animals, and the fact that I feel physically better when I do not eat meat.

My decision had nothing to do with not liking the taste of meat.  

@Drythe   That's interesting!  I don't eat meat either but these meat-substitutes remind me of the real thing - the slaughter, torture, and all that - and I cannot enjoy them.  

Valued Contributor

Why would a vegan want a meat analogue?  Because people sometimes aren't that creative in the kitchen and they want a pre-prepared, quick protein that is familiar to them.  People don't like to change their diets that much, so if a person wants to avoid meat for health reasons they can still enjoy familiar foods.  If a person is an ethical vegan they may miss the foods they used to eat, so these vegan meats have a place in their diet.  They may like the taste, but not the environmental destruction or the cruelty that comes with real dead animals on their plate.  

Valued Contributor

I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste of it.   I don't eat it because it's an animal (or fish or chicken or anything that had a face), being tortured and slaughtered and raised in horrific conditions.  It makes me sick to think of it.

Contributor

Some vegans, like myself, generally avoid plant-based meats.  However, when I go to cookouts, it's nice to have an option that doesn't 'stick out' too much.  Gatherings with food can already be akward enough for us because many people still think we're a bit odd.  Plant-based meats just make things easier for everyone--I feel more comfortable and hosts don't have to think much about me....win win!  As others have said, some people are curious about plant-based foods of they're transitioning, so these can be a good place to try some familiar food. 

I appreciate the questions--if you haven't tried many vegan recipes, there are a lot of good recipes out there--try something new and you might love it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Re Beyond Meat: It's Beyond Me why vegans - if they don't like meat - nevertheless want products that look and taste like real meat.

@ValuSkr   I am not sure why you cannot understand that quite a few people, including myself, choose not to eat a slaughtered animal.

I understand that so why do they want a product that looks, and has the texture of meat.

Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

@ValuSkr

Why do low cabers try to recreate low carb versions of carby  foods?🤣😉

But it’s the people trying to find meat substitutes who get criticized. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@bikerbabe People who want to eat low carb do not have a moral objection to eating carbs, they just try to limit them for health reasons.  That is way different than searching for things that taste like meat, when you can not stand the thought of eating meat.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ValuSkr   I am not sure why you cannot understand that quite a few people, including myself, choose not to eat a slaughtered animal.

I understand that so why do they want a product that looks, and has the texture of meat.

@jackthebear   Perhaps they enjoy eating a meat substitute knowing no animal was slaughtered in the process of making it.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@rescuedogmom4 wrote:

Some vegans, like myself, generally avoid plant-based meats.  However, when I go to cookouts, it's nice to have an option that doesn't 'stick out' too much.  Gatherings with food can already be akward enough for us because many people still think we're a bit odd.  Plant-based meats just make things easier for everyone--I feel more comfortable and hosts don't have to think much about me....win win!  As others have said, some people are curious about plant-based foods of they're transitioning, so these can be a good place to try some familiar food. 

I appreciate the questions--if you haven't tried many vegan recipes, there are a lot of good recipes out there--try something new and you might love it Smiley Happy

@rescuedogmom4 , your post is spot on IMO.  Years ago, we had neighbors that invited us over for a cookout.  When asked if we wanted both hot dogs and hamburgers, we told them we were vegetarian and would supply our own.  We offered to bring another dish to contribute to it which we agreed upon.

However, we could see that the look on their faces were as if we were aliens from another planet which was rather awkward.  

So your explanation is a very good one and thank you.

Valued Contributor

phoenixbrd   You misunderstood.  I don't eat meat either - for all the reasons you mentioned.  My question was why would I - or anyone else who doesn't like meat - still like this processed food that looks and tastes like meat?  I don't.

Oh please...people eat meat because it tastes good and it isn't as labor intensive as a lot of vegetarian fare. I'd go vegetarian but I don't have the time and effort it take to prepare.

And people who stick their noses in the air and look down on meat-eaters are snobs who give me a pain. 

My choices are made for practical reasons and I don't look down on people who eat--or don't--eat meat.

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666   These are your opinions, not facts....and that's ok.  I don't judge others and I didn't hear any judgements in the previous posts or "snobs with nose in the air" attitude.

These are my choices, they don't have to be yours:

I don't like the taste/look/thought of meat...to me it is a sentient being.

My meal can be as simple or complicated as I chose.

I don't judge others regarding their lifestyle choices.

We each make our own opinions as to what is best for ourselves.  I respect freedom of choice in all areas of our lives as long is it is not harmful to others.  I wish for you much happiness and health.