Super Contributor

Re: #### BEWARE "Fun Quizzes" are Data Mining and Collecting, Personal Information ####

On 6/5/2014 shoekitty said:

I am persistent and a fanatic about using the opt out services that are offered by the advertising companies. I have 96 advertising companies that try to track me. Almost every week I have to doitall over again,but I do it. I do not allow the advertisments to follow me site to site. QVC is really bad too. They have hired aggressive marketers, and they are one that is tough to opt out of.

I just did this yesterday for the first time. I just noticed that next to the QVC ad that popped up, it said something like how did I get this ad, so I clicked on it and a whole list came up with the option of deleting them so I checked all of them and got rid of them.

Honored Contributor

Re: #### BEWARE "Fun Quizzes" are Data Mining and Collecting, Personal Information ####

On 6/5/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:
On 6/5/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 6/5/2014 Opurrra said: Posting your personal info here is more of a risk. Too many of you share way too much about yourselves!

Eliminate all postings about personal problems, situations, experiences, etc., and see how interesting this BB will become. We already can't talk about the really interesting and important issues of our time, and that is proven because when one gets through, there are immediately multiple posts to it. Same is true of the personal postings.

I have in the past posted about personal things only to find them thrown in my face in the worst possible way. I have not posted about anything personal in many, many weeks, and don't plan to in the future.

That leaves us with host bashing, SG, JR, Wen, product complaints, food, weather (although even that is personal?) pets, movies and TV shows, and thousands of "cute" photos and YouTube videos. Thanks . . . but I was already 16 a long time ago, 60 years to be exact . . . or is that too personal?

I thought talking about the weather was one of the "safest" subjects out there. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

There is a thread here that discusses talking about the weather makes it easy for someone to look up where you live because they just research where that particular weather is happening.

I'm with you, I think it's pretty far-fetched to call that "personal" information. I can't remember which thread it was, unfortunately.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 6/6/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 6/5/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:
On 6/5/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 6/5/2014 Opurrra said: Posting your personal info here is more of a risk. Too many of you share way too much about yourselves!

Eliminate all postings about personal problems, situations, experiences, etc., and see how interesting this BB will become. We already can't talk about the really interesting and important issues of our time, and that is proven because when one gets through, there are immediately multiple posts to it. Same is true of the personal postings.

I have in the past posted about personal things only to find them thrown in my face in the worst possible way. I have not posted about anything personal in many, many weeks, and don't plan to in the future.

That leaves us with host bashing, SG, JR, Wen, product complaints, food, weather (although even that is personal?) pets, movies and TV shows, and thousands of "cute" photos and YouTube videos. Thanks . . . but I was already 16 a long time ago, 60 years to be exact . . . or is that too personal?

I thought talking about the weather was one of the "safest" subjects out there. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

There is a thread here that discusses talking about the weather makes it easy for someone to look up where you live because they just research where that particular weather is happening.

I'm with you, I think it's pretty far-fetched to call that "personal" information. I can't remember which thread it was, unfortunately.

If I choose to answer, I don't give specific temperatures. Just like it's HOT! I don't mention where I live or my age.

Respected Contributor

Just talking about the weather isn't a big deal. But it is one more piece of information if someone here is sick enough to try to figure out who you are and where you live. These types add up all the little details you post over time and can come up with a pretty accurate picture.

It's creepy.

Honored Contributor

On 6/6/2014 BonnieBelle said:
On 6/5/2014 shoekitty said:

I am persistent and a fanatic about using the opt out services that are offered by the advertising companies. I have 96 advertising companies that try to track me. Almost every week I have to doitall over again,but I do it. I do not allow the advertisments to follow me site to site. QVC is really bad too. They have hired aggressive marketers, and they are one that is tough to opt out of.

I just did this yesterday for the first time. I just noticed that next to the QVC ad that popped up, it said something like how did I get this ad, so I clicked on it and a whole list came up with the option of deleting them so I checked all of them and got rid of them.

If you goto the NAI site, http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ this has every advertising company doing ads for YOUR computer. Jerks!@ Before you go to the site make sure you set your privacy options to accept 3rd party cookies. Then go to the site, and sumit your choices toopt out. Keep clicking the submit button,when It comes up that a few companies are not responding, you will have do dothem one by one by clicking on their website. . I had 96 companies marketing ads for my computer. I had to keep submitting the names 9 times before I eliminated all but 5 companies. Then I clicked on each of the companies by themselves and went to their website to opt out. Took a while. The problem is everytime you delete cookies, you have to do it over again. I have the website above for the NAI in myfavorites and check it weekly. There are always one or two companies that have weedled their way back in.
QVC, is really bad about following you everywhere. I have had ads come up when I was on another site saying, you have left 2 LOGO tops in your cart! That is when I got MAD!

ETA

after you have completed opting out from the advertising companies you want ( I choose all) go back to settings and block all 3rdp arty cookies again. You just remove that action so you can delted the advertising netwroks. They need a cookie to opt out.