Respected Contributor

Re: BEWARE THE GRANDSON IN TROUBLE SCAM

My mother got that call recently. She has no grandchildren so she knew it was a scam.

I have a service through my cable company where I also have my phone service and the caller is required to enter a number in order for the call to go through. The telemarketers/robocallers don’t have a keypad so they cannot get through. All those calls stopped immediately when I started the service.
Regular Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

It's out there and active.  I got the call this morning and he may have thought he had a live one but by the time I was done with him, he hung up on me. 

The number that came up on caller ID was 1-000-000-0000, name unavailable.

I usually don't answer but that one intrigued me.

People do fall for these scams. I just read a story about a woman who thought she was sending money(gift cards) to Bruce Springstein????

Regular Contributor

Friends, it may be old but it is still quite active. Not everyone knows about it and I thank the OP for reminding us. I need to share with my Aunt who does answer the phone no matter what. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just don't answer the calls?  Scam calls are probably less than 1% to your phone number - you can't live under a rock.  Today a call came in - name/phone not familiar; but I answered.  It was the generator service man - sitting in his truck - had a one o'clock appointment with me - - but finished up other jobs early - - wanted to know if he could come at 12:00   Yes, I want my generator serviced before winter sets in. 

Respected Contributor

I got that grandson call a few weeks ago; lately the calls from all the scammers have exploded. I had at least 10 yesterday and that many again today. Doesn’t matter if I answer or don’t, or if I block them, because they are always a step ahead. 

I know that many of the scams must come from a single source because the same chipmunk voice tells me my call is very important and to stay on the line for lower interest rates, student loans, and knee braces. These people are lower than whale manure.

Honored Contributor

My best friends BIL almost fell for this scam.  What saved him was the fact the call came thru his cell phone, which he answered thru blu-tooth in his car.  Another relative in the car realized this was the grandparent scam call, and insisted on disconnecting the call.   

Honored Contributor

I've head that the scammers get information for the "grandma" call from entries on Facebook.  If I participated in Facebook, I'd never mention family members.  People give out entirely too much information, making this sort of activity possible.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've head that the scammers get information for the "grandma" call from entries on Facebook.  If I participated in Facebook, I'd never mention family members.  People give out entirely too much information, making this sort of activity possible.

They didn't get that info from me on FB.  I don't put anything personal on there and I don't have any grandsons.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's just random.  I got such a call 10 years ago, long before I had grandchildren.  

My Facebook is very private and there is no way anyone, even those I've friended, would have access to my unlisted landline.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt

People fall for it all the time - unfortunately.