Honored Contributor

Re: BEWARE SCAMMING PHONE CALLS GETTING WORSE

Nomorobo is really an outstanding service!  Not only do I really wish that ALL carriers were compatible, but I have been seeing them having compatibility with more and more carriers.

Everybody who is not yet on board with nomorobo owes it to themselves to keep checking!

When I left ATT for Charter, for my landline, Charter was not with nomorobo.  I was bummed, but wanted to ditch ATT really bad.   One day on the phone with Charter I was on hold and on came a spiel that they were now compatible with nomorobo.  That made my day.

While I was on hold I went right in to the website and got myself registered again.    I might get one to two called every two-three days at the most that get through.   If I couldn't block the robocalls and such I would be just ripping the phone out of the wall because I HATE (I don't use that  word often!) solicitations and especially the ones that are intent on ripping people off.

Having phones with a 'block' key is also great.  I was going to buy one of those separate blocking units but realized that it was not a good choice for me because it has to be hooked up to the MAIN phone.  My main phone has to be hooked up to the modem/router upstairs so it was not convenient to be able to get up there to hit 'block' before it was too late.   

The phones with a block button are the other best choice and I could not be happier.  That way, no matter where I am in my house, there is a phone with a block button nearby.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@SuziepeachThank you!!

I never recall having so many scam calls-DH seems to get them more than I do. It seems to be only in the last few years, too.

I just remember the DNCL seemed to really get rid of tele-marketers but our cell phones have been getting hit lately even with weird numbers-apparently out of country.

We expected them during tax time or other "events" of voting nature but now it seems getting really bad.

Also:  If you do answer a call and they ask you is this so and so?  DO NOT SAY YES.

They use your voice speech to open fraudulant accounts.  OMG!!!

@Cakers3, we're getting more and more on both cells and landlines, one of those being his work number.. He may not recognize the number but he can't chance it being one of his guys out working on a radiation therapy machine/computer and not take the call so he answers.  I've heard him use a few colorful words too, Smiley Mad 

It's just ludicrous how out of control all these calls have become.  I never say yes- I answer WHAT, like they've completely interrupted me, and if they are hesitant, I make up something, like you've called the evidence department at the sheriff's office, please take this business number off your list, LOL.....  They'll say, "I am so sorry, we'll remove this number."  All kinds of things to say back, when and if I answer.. LOL  .. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Dare I even mention that someone here, a couple of years ago, allegedly posted that the Feds allegedly gave permission to the phone companies to go ahead and block out/stop these known telemarketers.  If true................Need I say more?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

I get my share of scammers but also credit card interest calls, local (statewide) calls for police widows and charities. I do like most of you, I don't answer, let it ring and they seldom leave a message. I know some charities use their money very efficiently but others not so much. If I do answer, I usually get sucked into them. The Indians...they always call me about the old men and women being cold and hungry, that gets to me. Cancer and heart, can't refuse them. I'd be destitute if I gave all the time so ignoring the ring of the phone is best. As you can see, I'm very conflicted about this...

@wishmoon  I am sorry to read that you are sometimes taken in by these scam calls.  Most of the calls for charities are not legit.  If you feel like giving, tell them to send you written information about the charity.  Then if you ever receive any written information (you probably won't because it is a scam) look up the charity and see how much is actually used to help people and how much is used for the CEO's salary.  Please don't get taken in by these people again.

Thank you for the good advice, I'm just not going to answer. My brother has a small business and asks any charities contacting him for that same info. He only gives locally, football teams, town fundraisers, etc., I'd forgotten about that. Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

The CPR call blocker will solve your problem, it is heaven sent!!!

Our call immdiatly dropped 90%, the rest I hit the block button and they are blocked forever.

Please give us more details on this gadget. Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Ballet Babe: I keep my landline just for emergencies.  However I've been hearing that very soon cell phones will have our house location available to emergency personnel.  Which would be a good thing.  Then, I wouldn't need a land line at all. .............Btw, are you a ballerina?  It's a beautiful art.  I often run across beautiful ballerina paintings.

Hi Rosemary, I was a Ballerina most of my life.   I teach a few classes but am too old to perform anymore.   I actually did all forms of dance, but Ballet was my main thing.  I wish I could do it all over again.  

Hi @BalletBabe .. what company(s) did you dance with?   My niece was in Alabama this past year and will be in Virginia this year.  

Respected Contributor

I just moved into a new home and need a landline to be connected to the security system.  I registered it on DNC list but I must get about 20 calls a day - water treatment calls but the most annoying is from something called Academtic Advisors - which leaves the same stupid message - "hi, I'm Ashley from Academic Advisors and . . ."   It comes in on multiple numbers from multiple states' zip codes and is very frustrating. 

I hate that for deliveries for all my furniture and things I bought for the new house I had to give a phone number for them to call in case they got lost or there was some other issue. I'm thinking those places sell your info cuz seriously doubt that Academic Advisors has some sort of connection with Haverty's, Best Buy, etc.

Valued Contributor

We get so many of these calls so I never answer our landline unless it is someone I know. We get calls every day about student loans. They leave messages about giving us student loans or reducing our payments on student loans. We are in our sixties and our kids have been out of college for many years and never took out loans so I have no idea why they keep calling us. Very annoying!!!!

Honored Contributor

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

The CPR call blocker will solve your problem, it is heaven sent!!!

Our call immdiatly dropped 90%, the rest I hit the block button and they are blocked forever.

I have call blocking through my cable co.  I do block most but this number I just posted, I have been playing games with them and then I tell them you scammer, how dare you tryto steal my money.  Try getting a real job.  Beware the language theythrow back is not good. I try to let them think they have a sale and then boom!  Throw it in their face.  

I know that's satisfying, but I honestly wouldn't do that...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*