Esteemed Contributor

Re: BEWARE SCAMMING PHONE CALLS GETTING WORSE

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@BalletBabe   "There are scammers working with Mcafee."  Where did you read this?  If true, it would be a real scandal.

I don't get any of those calls because I have the NomoRobo service.  It's free and works like a charm.  In the last six mmonth I've only had a handful of robo calls, and it's always the recording offering to reduce the interest rate on all your credit cards.

The reason I know about the Mcafee scammers is because they got me.   This was about a year ago.  I still had Vista.  They charged me 89.99 to update my computer.  They did not tell me that Windows wasn't updating it anymore.   I let them inmy computer and they worked on it for over an hr.  In the meantime my husband had passed, so I wasn't on that computer for about a month.  When I called them they of course transfer you to what they call Intel now.  That makes you think your getting someone good.  They handle all software issues.  They said they needed another 189.99 in order to fix it.  I went toStaples and the guy told me they are scamming you.  Don't let them in your computer. I called back and went off on Mcafee and said how can you lie to people like this?  She said they are separate from us.  I said no if you send your customers there , then you are just as wrong.  I canceled my subscribtion.  I will never use them again.  Lesson learned:  If windows isn't updating then no one can update it.  

Need to add that the guy told me well you have to turn your computer on ore often in order for it to be updated.  I was livid.  If I would have been in a better frame of mind , I would have demanded my money back and taken then to small claims court, becuase it is just wrong to do this to people.  I also said let me get this right?  You took 90.00 from me and now you want more a month later for a computer that is 10 years old.  They said Vista is the best program Windows ever had and we can make it run like new/  IKnew then that they were nuts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Ballet Babe: I keep my landline just for emergencies.  However I've been hearing that very soon cell phones will have our house location available to emergency personnel.  Which would be a good thing.  Then, I wouldn't need a land line at all. .............Btw, are you a ballerina?  It's a beautiful art.  I often run across beautiful ballerina paintings.

Hi Rosemary, I was a Ballerina most of my life.   I teach a few classes but am too old to perform anymore.   I actually did all forms of dance, but Ballet was my main thing.  I wish I could do it all over again.  

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

The CPR call blocker will solve your problem, it is heaven sent!!!

Our call immdiatly dropped 90%, the rest I hit the block button and they are blocked forever.

I have call blocking through my cable co.  I do block most but this number I just posted, I have been playing games with them and then I tell them you scammer, how dare you tryto steal my money.  Try getting a real job.  Beware the language theythrow back is not good. I try to let them think they have a sale and then boom!  Throw it in their face.  

It's been discussed here many times but bears repeating. 

Don't answer the Calls! Although it might make you feel good to "play games with them", all it really does is confirm to them they have a live number. You will get more and more calls.

Why waste your time?

Yeah, I don't get that either.  Why play games.  Sounds like too much time being invested for what?

Honored Contributor

I just never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number on my caller ID.  Works for me.  When I'm so inclined, I'll google the number and then, if it's been reported as a scam number, I block the number.  

Honored Contributor

Register your phone numbers at donotcall.gov.  I registered my cell phone number.  It took a while but now I don't receive many calls.  And those I do, I block on my cell phone.

Respected Contributor

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.  If it's a legitimate call, they will leave a message. 

If it's not a legitimate call, I immediately block it. 

It's cut down on so many scam calls.  Once you pick up and start fooling around with them, you get more calls. 

Respected Contributor

Been getting many non-recognizable ph numbers on my cell lately - I just don't answer if I don't know who it is.  I don't think they've been calling back.  If it's important, they will leave a message.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @BalletBabe ..  I like your avatar and nik.  Are you a ballerina?  My middle niece is a professional ballerina.  She just signed on with a ballet company in Virginia.  Ballet has been her life since she was 2 1/2 years old. 

Honored Contributor

All of our numbers- including MIL's, and all our cellphones are registerd at DNCL and the calls are getting worse on all devices.  A couple weeks ago I even checked everything at DNCL and they're all still registered- got a confirmation email back..

What a joke DNCL is, how all these worthless people are getting by with all these scams and etc. is beyond me..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I really don't understand why bother to speak with them at all?  I usually just let it ring (yes it's annoying) but they never leave a message so they really aren't important at all.

Once in a great while depending on my mood I like to entertain myself by making a few sarcastic comments to them.