Super Contributor

Re: BEWARE: Chinese companies are making toxic rice out of plastic

[ Edited ]

@Reba055 wrote:

The FDA needs a major overhaul. 

The Chinese rice in the OP's article is not distributed to the USA @Reba055.

Respected Contributor

@AuberriJean  I know, I saw that. Probably should have been more clear  It just came to mind when going through the posts. They still are allowing too much ****** including very subpar generic drugs. 

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I totally agree with the word 'distractions',

but probably in a different sense.

Everyone is abuzz over the 'aresnic in rice' within our borders.

Much of our conventionally grown produce has FDA acceptable

TRACES of arsenic, but rice is the chosen food item which gets the headlines, which I read w/ raised eyebrow.

The meat/dairy/eggs/oils eaten with this rice will cause more harm

than the actual rice itself.  Greater than zero chance someone will

die of diabetes-related illness or a heart attack from the foods

accompanying the rice rather than plain rice.

The Public can't see the Forest for the Trees. 

'Arsenic in Rice' is so not a concern. 

We, as obese Americans, have greater things to worry about. 

@sidsmom, The arsenic in rice thingy comes from the soil.  It's naturally occuring so that's the big concern.  And yes, some of it is within our own borders but not nearly as bad as other countries.

@itiswhatitis

That's correct about it naturally occurring, but the news reports are focusing on the arsenic used in the US cotton producing areas.  Again, like someone mentioned upthread, rinsing thoroughly & cooking 5-to-1 (water-rice) pasta style eliminates any worry.  

The Public can get caught up in all the minutiae & totally miss eating this healthy, satiating, inexpensive starch for reasons so minor.  At times, we can't see the forest for the trees...

Consumer Reports magazine noted “rice contributes 17 percent of dietary exposure to inorganic arsenic, which would put it in third place, behind fruits and fruit juices at 18 percent, and vegetables at 24 percent.” Still, rice has become the “must avoid” food

In your pursuit of less arsenic in your rice, it’s helpful to know that rice purchased from California growers has about half the arsenic as rice produced in Louisiana. This is because arsenic-based insecticides, before being banned in 1988, were extensively used to kill boll weevils on cotton crops grown in the southeastern US (Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Texas). Many of these same lands have been turned into rice fields.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I totally agree with the word 'distractions',

but probably in a different sense.

Everyone is abuzz over the 'aresnic in rice' within our borders.

Much of our conventionally grown produce has FDA acceptable

TRACES of arsenic, but rice is the chosen food item which gets the headlines, which I read w/ raised eyebrow.

The meat/dairy/eggs/oils eaten with this rice will cause more harm

than the actual rice itself.  Greater than zero chance someone will

die of diabetes-related illness or a heart attack from the foods

accompanying the rice rather than plain rice.

The Public can't see the Forest for the Trees. 

'Arsenic in Rice' is so not a concern. 

We, as obese Americans, have greater things to worry about. 

@sidsmom, The arsenic in rice thingy comes from the soil.  It's naturally occuring so that's the big concern.  And yes, some of it is within our own borders but not nearly as bad as other countries.

@itiswhatitis

That's correct about it naturally occurring, but the news reports are focusing on the arsenic used in the US cotton producing areas.  Again, like someone mentioned upthread, rinsing thoroughly & cooking 5-to-1 (water-rice) pasta style eliminates any worry.  

The Public can get caught up in all the minutiae & totally miss eating this healthy, satiating, inexpensive starch for reasons so minor.  At times, we can't see the forest for the trees...

Consumer Reports magazine noted “rice contributes 17 percent of dietary exposure to inorganic arsenic, which would put it in third place, behind fruits and fruit juices at 18 percent, and vegetables at 24 percent.” Still, rice has become the “must avoid” food

In your pursuit of less arsenic in your rice, it’s helpful to know that rice purchased from California growers has about half the arsenic as rice produced in Louisiana. This is because arsenic-based insecticides, before being banned in 1988, were extensively used to kill boll weevils on cotton crops grown in the southeastern US (Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Texas). Many of these same lands have been turned into rice fields.

Good info @sidsmom.  I must say I haven't seen any news reports with the level of concern you mention here.  The FDA has monitoring protocol.

*Call Tyrone*