Honored Contributor

Have any of you ever written to anyone in prison?

I'm thinking of writing to Betty..................

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Esteemed Contributor

Why?

And no, I've never written to anybody in prison.

I see no need to communicate with a convicted felon.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: BETTY BRODERICK

[ Edited ]

Why? is my big question.   She's a murderer.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I feel that if convicted felons have lost all of their rights and freedoms while incarcerated, that should include TV, Internet privileges and the ability to strike up 'friendships' with the outside (law abiding) public.

Letters from family only.

JMO

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Wondering what you would find necessary to say to her?

Esteemed Contributor

No, I have never written to anyone in prison. 

I thought about writing to one person, who is from my area, but did not do it. 

Honored Contributor

While I do sympathize with her and think her strict upbringing led to emotional issues, she diod what she did.  Can't imagine even wanting to write to anybody in prison

Honored Contributor

I have never written to anyone in prison.  I have no feeling one way or another but I do believe in redemption.  It's just not my call.

I have written and I have sent little gift packages to those who had no family when DS was in the military.   For me that is what I found worthwhile.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

I have not written to anyone in prison, but I say go for it if it's something that you want to do.  She's been tried by judge and jury and is serving her time, I don't feel the need to continue judging her or you for wanting to send her a letter.

If you decide to do it, please check back in to let us know if you hear back.  I will say I miss the days of hand written letter writing!

Honored Contributor

@catlover   Keep in mind there are two things to consider if you are going to write nicely.

When a prisoner refuses to own their crime unconditionally, such letters can keep the illusion, if you will, alive.

When a prisoner has true regret, a letter can encourage to stay the course, do the time, repent.

But if the letter is nasty, calling out the person as (insert negative words/phrases)-it won't matter.  The person has heard it all before and will not make one bit of difference.  All it does it push the illusion that the world is out to get them.

I wasn't going to comment but there is a dynamic going on with the person who writes and the person who receives.

If anybody wants to write to an inmate, there are programs in place.  Go through one of them for guidance.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh