Honored Contributor

To answer the question, it was my wedding day.

Now you can get back to bickering about sons and DILs.

Honored Contributor

No one should ever keep a loving, responsible grandparent from seeing his/her grandchildren.  Having said that, there are 2 sides to every story.  Some people here are saying "shame on your DIL!" when we have no idea what truly transpired. 

Honored Contributor

Seems like this thread really got off topic.

When I opened it I expected to find some fun responses about wonderful days in people's lives. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Life is too short.Why not get along!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone should tell that to my daughter-in-law. Two years ago we had a major disagreement; I apologized and was ready to let it be "water under the bridge" but as a result she wouldn't let me see my granddaughter for a year; and my son went along with it.

Ahhhhh!

There's the crux.

He put his wife and daughter first, when you are use to being in the #1 position.

Unless there were some pretty extreme circumstances, it isn't a matter of him putting anyone first, it's a matter of him needing to provide a voice of reason and having failed to do so. Again, unless there was something serious going on, it wasn't right for the wife to deny access to the kid and it certainly wasn't right for the son not to insist on a little reason being employed. Again though, none of us knows the reality of the cirumstances here, so it all becomes theoretical.

@stevieb 

It also depends on what the heated argument was about.

If, for example, the mother criticized my spouse, my parenting style, or my kid, you bet your sweet ..... bippy you lost all privileges of seeing the grandchild. 

Often in anger, the truth of how we really feel comes out.

To apologize is fine, but sometimes saying "I'm sorry" just doesn't magicly make hurt feelings vanish.

The dye has  been cast, the bell rung, and  words that can't be taken back.

...says the poster who has no children.  SMH

Honored Contributor

Unmarried, no children--but she always has all the answers. Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Seems like this thread really got off topic.

When I opened it I expected to find some fun responses about wonderful days in people's lives. 

So did I.  I guess it wasn't really meant to celebrate the "best day ever" in a poster's life.

Esteemed Contributor

Back to the topic (or maybe it wasn't the real topic of this thread)- Best Day Ever- toss up between going to Disneyland for the first time and meeting Mr. Wonderful (don't tell him)

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Unmarried, no children--but she always has all the answers. Go figure.

That's right! I sure do!😊.  It's called having  an opinion.

Aint America great like that?👍🎇

And I make no apologies for standing up for my kid, if someone insulted them, "family" or not.

It's what a good parent does, protect their child.

You insult me and/or my kid, call them name, you have just lost all privileges to said child. And grandparent visitation is a privilege, not a right. Maybe they would need to be reminded of that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Life is too short.Why not get along!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone should tell that to my daughter-in-law. Two years ago we had a major disagreement; I apologized and was ready to let it be "water under the bridge" but as a result she wouldn't let me see my granddaughter for a year; and my son went along with it.

@GoneButNotForgotten    That explains a lot but doesn't negate your son's responsibility to his family. 

I guess I just don't think children should be weaponized.

If the adults are mad at each other, they should try to work it out among themselves. The argument I had with my DIL had nothing to do with grandaughter: DIL and my son called me from out of the blue and informed me they wanted me to make an addition to my house. I didn't agree; we all got angry (my son was on the line too and he joined in) and said things people say when they're angry and feel ambushed.

As I said I apologized and was ready to bury the hatchet but my d.i.l. wasn't, and as a result I didn't get to see my granddaughter for a year. Eventualy my DIL apologized for losing her temper--but not for withholding my granddaughter.

Honored Contributor

Why would they ask you to make an addition to your house? That seems like overstepping.