Honored Contributor

BEST ALL-TIME WIG TIP FOR NON-WIGGY, TOUSLED BEDHEAD LOOK

Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 20-12-16 From Drab to Fab - Wig Styling Tips.png

If you have a boring wig you want to make look more piece-y and modern, this works.

Patti of Patti's Pearls is well-known in the industry, with so many knowledgeable videos on styling.  She knows wigs inside out, being a full-time wearer herself, and having had a theatrical career behind her, where she was nimble and creative with "fantasy hair".

She has one, ultra-simple styling trick that I can attest, will produce a coveted, wavy, "untamed" look on even the most boring, staid wig, as long as it is a little wavy to start with, or has a little body.

She wets her hands, curves them into "claws" with fingers extended, and puts them into the wig while wearing.  She makes circular motions, 2 or 3 times, then squeezes the hair she has just twirled.  Circle, circle, circle, SQUEEZE.

Repeat wherever a tousled look is desired.  Sometimes she says, Circle circle circle, PINCH.   Same thing, ha.

It will probably look too wild, and be too "high" or full, especially on the sides.  Just use the claw formation, bring down into the curl, to pat it down, but without using the flat of your hand-- the fingers coming down will be enough to tame the curls down without totally flattening them.

The choppy curls or  last for hours, with just the water!  You don't even have to use wig-safe hairspray.  Fantastic, simple technique. 

She shows the technique in a couple of videos.  For the first, you can google  From Drab to Fab-- Wig Styling.

She also demonstrates how to do it in this video .   Google this:  Gia by Envy in Almond Breeze  Wig Review:

snapshot.jpg

The videos are more to show the technique-- the wigs on tape, don't look as tousled to me as they do in real life when you apply the technique!  

In real life, the random choppiness you can produce is very noticeable, and is a stylish alternative to more smooth, no-hair-out-of-place styles, that tend to look more 'wiggy'.

I love that curls and waviness are back in, and being seen more now.   They were never 'out',  in my book.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: BEST ALL-TIME WIG TIP FOR NON-WIGGY, TOUSLED BEDHEAD LOOK

Thank you for sharing this! I know a full-time wig wearer and I will definitely show this to her.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell    That's pretty much what I do to my short natural hair after I wash it while it's wet.  It hasn't seen a hair dryer or curling device for years. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apologize ahead of time for off topic....

@Oznell   I always read your posts because they always have such a command and joy of language.  I am not interested in owning/wearing a wig but your way with words always entice me to see what you have to say.  You would be an amazing screenwriter or excel in advertising.  Your film reviews are on par with The New Yorker.  Such a joy to read your posts.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, @Duckncover --  I hope she gleans something helpful.  I can't tell you how excited I was to find this specific tip, since I have an uninspired wig I was ready to "retire".   This easy way of styling almost instantly drew compliments, always a motivator!   Hoping the tip gets the widest possible views on here, since it's really a game- changer for those who like experimenting with wigs.

I bet you have some nice body to your hair to begin with, @Kachina624 .   What a joy not have to fool with products and styling tools.

@phoenixbrd,  you are too kind, as always.  In the past, I've done a little free-lancing, always in local publications, as a fun avocation from my "day job".  Your generous comments are much appreciated, pal!