Honored Contributor

Re: BERNIE MADOFF DIES IN PRISON

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

Carmine Persico took a liking of him and took Madoff under his protection.  Persico was a well known Mafiso in Butner for life.  Madoff advised him on investments!  Persico died in 2019.

Don't feel too bad for Ruth Madoff..........she was allowed to keep 1.2 Million!

I read it was $2.5 million. Either way, she's not poor.

@SilleeMee @Financially no, but she lost her sons and her husband. She became Bernie's girlfriend at 13 years old. The money can't compensate for the loss of everyone you have loved. She was also a victim in this scheme. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  I get your point but I disagree. I think his wife had a general idea of what he was doing but looked the other way. I think she felt that he wouldn't screw over her sister.That was probably a surprise.

Honored Contributor

To me it seemed like that whole family was really into money and it's sad that the truth of where the money was coming from was so devastating to them...and the lies they were told to cover it up. Seems they all very much enjoyed spending it and, to some extent, it appeared from the outside like it was an addiction with denial.

Frequent Contributor

At the time all of this was happening, some of his victims told reporters, "We knew Bernie was conning people; we just didn't know he was conning us". So, while I have some sympathy for people who lost money, I can't muster up too much for those who knew he was a conman; they were only interested in how much they were making.

Respected Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

If people had really watched the news while this was happening or seen any of the documentaries, then they would know that there was way more to the story. 

Bernie Madoff had been reported numerous times of having a ponzi scheme starting in 1992. 

Search:

The investigation of failure of the SEC to uncover Bernie Madoff's Ponzi Scheme

Also, besides the fact that no one could replicate his double digit rate of returns he was giving mostly to the cream of the crop of his wealthy clients; his supposed stock trades never made a dent in the stock market to indicate large movements of transactions had occurred. Nevertheless, his clients continued to employ him though most were extremely bright and college educated and KNEW darn well, something had to be up; that it was too good to be true.  And it was but they didn't care as long as THEY got paid...remember they were the cream of the crop according to Madoff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it sounds like you've read Harry Marcopolis's book because he says [retty much the same thing. He and his team caught onto Bernie right away and it took the dunces in gobernment and the media years to catch on. It seems like those who should have known, didn't--or couldn't force tjemselves to believe the Barnie Madoff was one of the worst crooks ever.

Bernie died in prison, just as he should have.