Respected Contributor

Re: BEAUTIFUL PUBLIC RENDITION OF THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER

Thanks, @Cakers3. Funny, I learned it the way Huey sang it. Perhaps it's a regional thing. 

Regardless, one of the problems I find with so many who sing it are all the extra notes. 

Honored Contributor

Most definitely!  Can't think of anyone who sang it better.  She brought the house down and tears to my eyes.   

Honored Contributor

I love getting different takes on this.  Huey Lewis and the News were excellent.  I find there is a range of renditions I love, from the crisp and straightforward, to the more "embellished".

A close second to me for Whitney's magnificence is opera star Renee Fleming's version.  Her vocal majesty, standing there in that elegant gown, and the emotion of the people and the moment itself, are just great!

52ef1431eab8ea4b2393cffd.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1h4zfO8Ais

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I love getting different takes on this.  Huey Lewis and the News were excellent.  I find there is a range of renditions I love, from the crisp and straightforward, to the more "embellished".

A close second to me for Whitney's magnificence is opera star Renee Fleming's version.  Her vocal majesty, standing there in that elegant gown, and the emotion of the people and the moment itself, are just great!

52ef1431eab8ea4b2393cffd.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1h4zfO8Ais

I prefer Fleming's version to Houston's, @Oznell , but both were sung reverently and beautifully -- and that's what matters.  As moving as her voice was the fact that every player was standing, with his hand over his heart.  Can't believe that's no longer a given.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vsm wrote:

I prefer Fleming's version to Houston's, @Oznell , but both were sung reverently and beautifully -- and that's what matters.  As moving as her voice was the fact that every player was standing, with his hand over his heart.  Can't believe that's no longer a given.

I also like her version. But, not every player had his hand over his heart. Perhaps you should watch it again. Smiley Happy As for standing, I won't go there.

Honored Contributor

I had a music teacher who was a perfectionist and he would have a fit over the word banner.  In the correct version, banner is sung with only two syliables, not three or four.

Not many people sing it correctly. That is about all I remember from music class.

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@vsm wrote:

I also like her version. But, not every player had his hand over his heart. Perhaps you should watch it again. Smiley Happy As for standing, I won't go there.

Is this thread intended to provoke political and controversial commentary? Or to pave the way for sneaky comments? 

We certainly know better than to judge someone as 'patriotic' just bc they stand and put their hand over their heart.

So much has changed,  and so much more needs to change...

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri