Respected Contributor

I read that the current nasty flu virus (the h one) is a match for both types of flu shot this year. The tri and the quad vaccines both have it ( the h virus) in it.

The bad news is that some forms of the flu vaccine (say for example A or B, not sure which) provide better immunity protection  than others. This years h form of the flu vaccine is about 30 to 35 percent effective. The hope is that if you do get that form the shot will give you a milder case. 

Respected Contributor

In SE Michigan the stomach thing was going around over the holidays. I don't know anyone who has had the real flu (yet).

Stay well everyone!

Respected Contributor

I read the article and was educated.  For some reason I equate the flu with stomach and gastric issues.

Now it is an awakening that what my DH, I and about 15 other family members came down with the day after Christmas was possibly a strain of the flu.  I had the aches, chills, sweats, fatigue and respiratory issues.  I just thought it was an upper respiratory virus.  It was over a week before I started to feel better and the cough still is with me.  Other family members had similar symptoms but to a different degree.

The majority of us there did have the flu shot, but perhaps this an unexpected strain the shot didn't protect that well against.

Super Contributor

@september wrote:

My husband was taken to the ER this past week (for a fall) and it was so busy!  The staff said most people were there with flu symptoms, and the wait for them was 3 hours or longer.

We've both had shots, but I hope we didn't pick up any germs there.  I kept washing my hands and using the hand sanitizer.  

@september  My husband also was taken to the ER this past week.  He had a heart attack. 100% blockage in 1 atery that they opened and inserted a stent into and discharged the next day.  Amazing!!  He's not ready to retire...wants to wait until he's 66. ER staff tended to him right away.....ER not really crowded for some reason.  He had me drive him because the city charges a huge amount of money for an ambulance, I mean huge and dh said never again.  Would even call a cab if one of us had a broken bone although I'm not sure I'd like that.  

aka foundinlv

Honored Contributor

@Lovingq   Found?   I'm so sorry to hear this.  I hope he has a good prognosis. 

I have to say...this past year has been so tough on my family and so many other people I know...including many of you who I know on this board 

Trusted Contributor

I pray all of you get well soon.  My wonderful hubby died from the flu 5 years ago.  He was in his early 60's and in good health.  Hard to believe in this day and age that can happen.