Honored Contributor

Warnings are coming out about it and news that several people have died.

My daughter and I both got sick within 24 hours at Christmas.  We'd both had the flu shot and thought we'd picked up a really bad cold, but health officials are now saying it was the flu and many of us got the milder version because we'd had the vaccine.

I thought it was nasty for a cold, and I do know better about the symptoms, but no one else was calling it flu back in December.

For me: chills, temp up to 102, night sweats twice (which is almost unheard of for me), sneezing and nose blowing to the max, and deep nasty cough.  I still haven't kicked it.

Be careful my Bay Area friends, if you come down with anything like that, you might want to check with your doctor.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  did you ache all over?

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 my middle daughter was just diagnosed with the flu Thursday too. she didn't get her flu shot this year. She lives in NE Pa.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

SF GATE news report January 7

That cold you have might actually be the worst Bay Area flu outbreak in a decade

Emergency rooms in the Bay Area are being inundated with people who’ve come down with an especially virulent form of the flu, some waiting for hours to see a doctor.

“Things have exploded upon the scene,” said Dr. Ronn Berrol, director of Summit Campus Emergency Room, Sutter Health Alta Bates Summit Medical Center. “We, in the last week-and-a-half, have seen a massive surge in the amount of patients with flu symptoms, the number of positive flu tests. I don’t know in the last 10 years I’ve seen a surge this bad in such a short period.”

Earlier this week the CDC confirmed that influenza A H3N2 has risen nationwide for consecutive weeks.  While the flu started out impacting young, healthy people, it’s now hitting a more vulnerable population.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/That-cold-you-have-might-actually-be-the-worst-10840517.php

Honored Contributor

I just read they don't know if the Queen will be attending church services this Sunday.  She hasn't been in 3 weeks. That's unheard of for her.  This stuff really is nasty.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Noel7  did you ache all over?

Hi @cherry

Yes, I did.  I forgot to mention that.  In fact, at the time, I told DH and our daughter I thought that was odd for a cold.

The problem is, at times there's no way for me to differentiate virus symptoms from Lupus.  Lupus can cause similar symptoms, and symptoms like a heart attack.  Sometimes I just chalk it up to that, and wrongly so.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 my middle daughter was just diagnosed with the flu Thursday too. she didn't get her flu shot this year. She lives in NE Pa.

Hi @JaneMarple

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Jane!

I almost didn't get the flu shot this year because I'd had a really bad reaction to the pneumonia vaccine awhile back.  My RA said it was my decision and he could understand being hesitant, I'd landed in the hospital.

My internist told me to get the mild shot, not the senior shot, and since my daughter was freaking out on me to get it, I let her drag me to Walgreens for the mild shot, and just in time to get the three week coverage needed.

GLAD I DID!

I hope your daughter is doing OK.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I just read they don't know if the Queen will be attending church services this Sunday.  She hasn't been in 3 weeks. That's unheard of for her.  This stuff really is nasty.

I saw that, too, @cherry and had the same thought.  She's a trooper and has been sick since Christmas.

Valued Contributor

Nasty viruses are everywhere with now.  Over the Christmas break, we had a nasty virus go through our whole family.  My chidren go to Catholic school so we tend to get extra long breaks around Christmas and Easter as compared to the public schools.  Anyway, our much anticpated Christmas holiday was horrible!  My husband ended up with bronchiitis, but I ended up with pneumonia!  I've never felt so sick in my entire life.  I've had a fever almost everyday for 2 weeks.  Today is the first day where I can truly say I'm staring to feel better.  But from what I understand, it can take many, many weeks to completely recover from pneumonia.  Just to put everything in perspective, my husband and I and our two children all had our flu shots in October and we live in Northern Florida.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7

Oh No!  My daughter-in - law with a six months old baby is really sick with

a bad cold right now.  She lives right in San Francisco.  My son is really

taking good care of her, but it sounds like she is in bed.  My husband just

spoke with someone in Berkeley yesterday, and heard the same thing:

really sick (in this case for two weeks).