Esteemed Contributor

@surfk wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

The title of this thread is like a Gotham City newspaper headline.

lol

Ohmygosh, someone's catching on! Smiley LOL

She was also Barbara Gordon, Commissioner Gordon's daughter! Batman was one of my favorte shows when I was a kid- and still enjoy it on TV Land! RIP Yvonne Woman Sad

Valued Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

This was my first Batgirl!  I ran home from school every day to see this show and I didn't like it when she wasn't on.  It's amazing we seem to have had more girl heroes like Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Charlie's Angels, Col Deering from Buck Rogers, etc back in the 70s than we do today.  In fact I can't even think of a real one since Xena left our screens back in the 90s.

RIP, this girl will miss you.  Smiley Sad 

That is so true. The strong female characters of the 60s and particularly the 70s are essentially gone. I know they were prompted then due to changing attitudes but the type of powerful women or superhero woman were always done with a bit of good humor and fun. Which, in my opinion, made them more appealing.

Today, I think that all these CSI type of forensic detective woman are suppose to be the new superhero or power female incarnation.

Problem is they're all so dark and generally unappealing. Maybe they're more "real". But are they...right?? lol

And then we have the other approach to so-called power women today: the b-ch diva or loudmouth Housewives of...sorts. As if exerting the worst of behavior empowers women or ought to be a role model for today.

Positive role models in general are lacking this generation. Everything is rather the dark hero or the counter hero. Which is fine for contrast. But I don't think that the entire landscape could be filled with Catwomen...without someone finally asking, "GEESH. WHERE IS BATGIRL????"