Esteemed Contributor

Thank you to all that responded.  After reading online about bats, it is hard to get them to move from where they are.  It can take a couple years.  The thing is to seal where they are coming in.  We haven't had them inside the house this year, but have in the past.  I know they are beneficial for eating mosquitoes.  Apparently summer is their "maternity" time.  They don't move during this time.  Relocation by force isn't an answer.  They don't attack people or pets.  They don't go into your hair.......all myths.  We still would like them to move away from our home and into a bat house.  I guess the houses can be ordered online and someone mentioned a feed store. 

They won't go to a bathouse attached to a tree - it makes them too vulnerable to predators.  It has to be on your house or a post at least 12 feet tall.  It has to be in the sun - the warmer the better. 

It is nice to get feedback and hearing about different experiences.  Again, thank you.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

The home I used to own was beautiful: red brick with lush vines.

I spent several thousand dollars, though, trying to get rid of bats. I even pulled down most of the ivy on that two-story home. In 24 years, I saw 22 bats.

(We never chased the bats outside: they just come back in--it's their home, they figure. We made sure they were thoroughly dead.)

I don't think bat houses would make much of a difference.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of a bat house. No to bats in my garage They can bite.

Honored Contributor

Never had them in my houses but we've always put up bat houses because we love bats and know how important they are to nature.