Honored Contributor

Re: BAD RESTAURANT EXPERIENCE

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Well, first and foremost - I'd demand a new dinner for your niece. No way I'd pay for terrible tasting food. Second - no satisfaction on the meal would have meant NO TIP at all, nor would I pay for unacceptable food.I would only have paid for the 2 edible meals.

People shouldn't be so afraid to make a little disturbance. Not at all.

I don't see any reason to make a disturbance.  The cashier or waiter didn't cause the problem.  I occasionally get yelled at, called names, and belittled at work during a customer's disturbance. It tends to make people more likely to stick to the rules than make an exception.  Other customers are rolling their eyes or laughing at that person...they apologize for them and make some less than glowing comments after the person leaves.  

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

Guess I'm the only one that wonders why she should be given another meal because she didn't like the flavor.     If it's burned, raw, etc. yes send it back.   You just happen not to like it... well how many meals do you think they should bring out before you find one you do like?    

I'm with you.  I have ordered plenty of new-to-me entrees to try them out.  Didn't care for them, so I just didn't order again. 

Honored Contributor

What is th first rule of Customer Service? Deny,deny, deny!

Honored Contributor

Forgot to add that is another reason DH and I hardly ever go out. We are kind of innocent and just wouldn't pay those prices for food.

Respected Contributor

People are so entitled anymore. Just because you do not like the taste of your meal does not mean anything is wrong with it. Why should they give you something else or a refund. Now you know you don;t like it order something different next time. Imagine people coming in ordering something to see if they like it & then say they don't & get a free meal or a different meal. Restaurant would go out of business. The meal you do not like cost the restaurant money for the food & someone to prepare it. Now if something is wrong with the meal send it back but not just because you don't like it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling

@Just Bling wrote:

"no offer to replace", I think people get intiminated and don't hold their ground.  The problem was that she backed down and wasn't assertive enough to say, I need this replaced.

She ordered the wrong entree, didn't like the taste but should of insisted on remaking the entree with instructions as to how she would like it to be.

I don't think anyone "yelled" at you and yes, it should of been handled during the dinner.

...how would chicken become "tart"????   what was the name of the entree

I went on Yelp twice for bad review and both times the owners got back to me and refunded me with a certificate to the restaurants.  Posted need to be more assertive.

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition

In all honesty, you go to a buffet, you pick what you want, you sit down and decide it's not to your tasting, in this situation you have the advantage to get a clean plate and try something new.  Certainly it wasn't the restaurants fault you picked the wrong entree or it wasn't to your liking, so in a more expensive sit down restaurant it is not up to the restaurant to replace your meal that you didn't iike, it's not a buffet.

Regarding YELP reviews, why would anyone put a negative review for this restaurant, the chicken wasn't "sour" it wasn't "spoiled" it was the dish chosen wasn't to her liking and they wanted it replaced.  There's no reason for a restaurant certificate, there wasn't anything wrong.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I would never go back to that restaurant.  Whether or not it tasted like it was supposed to is moot.   The manager's behavior was beyond rude.

-----------

On a similar but different note, I work parttime in customer service in a grocery store.  It always amazes me that people will bring back something they didn't like and ask for a refund.  It's not defective or rotten.  They just didn't like that yogurt or ice cream.  Until I retired and started working there, I'd never heard or thought of returning a grocery item because I didn't like it.   When you buy it and don't like it, give it away or throw it away.  

Because places like Costco, Wegmans and Amazon will take it back.  They assume all places work off the same philosophy

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

That reminds me, I was on a business trip to San Francisco and I found great reviews for a restaurant on Yelp.  I am not hard to please, but rubbery shrimp cocktail is not the way to go.

I left a Yelp review about my experience, all factual, listing the good and the bad.  The owner emailed me and I gave her my phone number.  We never connected, but she never put my credit card through for the meal.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@elated wrote:

@bootsanne wrote:

This was to be a birthday outing for 2 of my oldest nieces, one turning 60 and the other right behind her.  Their other sister and I were paying.  I chose a highly rated and pricey ..$$$$. restaurant that I had been to a few times and always had excellent food. All food is freshly made with quality ingredients.  We didn't want to go to a chain restaurant.  Well the younger bd niece bowed out because of the 4 hour round trip drive but I understood.   The restaurant is very quiet, clean and reservations are needed months ahead.  Well the bd niece and I had excellent food but my youngest niece's food was not good.  The chicken was extremely tart and the flavor seeped into the runny scalloped potatoes.  We politely told our server that this dish was not acceptable.  The kitchen manager and owner came over and said that was the way it was supposed to taste.  No offer to replace.  Now even in cheap restaurants when there is a problem  they either give you a price break or make another entree. We did not want to cause a scene, but when the bill came--$170--no drinks--I did tell the server we were disappointed that nothing was done to please my niece.  She apologized, the kitchen manager came out and yelled at us.  We were mortified.  I only gave a 15% tip but I really feel used and horrible for my niece who paid a lot of money for nothing to eat.  What should I do?  I tried reviewing on Yelp but had no luck.

The best way to make a point is no tip. I would have put a note on the bill regarding service. Why would you tip for bad food and poor management. 

@elated  The waitress didn't cook the food nor is the waitress the manager.  The waitress apologized and notified the manager.

The waitress served the food and deserved the tip.  Why should she be punished??

It wasn't the service; it was the food prepared by a cook/chef and subsequently argued by the manager.

I totally disagree with your decision to tip. One time we went to a restaurant that was short on help, The WAITRESS did not charge us for our dessert. That was the only thing we wanted. She felt bad for us waiting so long and compensated us. The waitress could have taken her plate and offered another dinner. Waitresses do have some decisions that they can make. I am sure she was not new on the job.  I am sure if they treat their customers like that, word would get around and the restaurant would suffer. The waitress does not retain the full tip, she has to split it with several people. It is called  customer service.

@elated  You apparently missed the point where the waitress apologized and reported the issue to the manager.  It was up to the manager to determine if a different plate should have been served, not the waitress.

The waitress didn't appear to be in the wrong in any shape or form as far as a dinner that was simply disliked; nor should she have not been excluded from a tip for something over which she had no control.

Perhaps it is the way THIS restaurant handles things; the waitress simply cannot bring out a new dinner without notifying the manager.  The day would conclude with two dinners served but only one paid for.  It wouldn't make sense for the waitress to simply replace the dinner.

The manager wouldn't be gaining anything from her tip, btw.

You situation had to do with timing and not a dessert you didn't like.   Not even a close comparison.

Agree to disagree.  We will always tip;  you do as you please.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh