Frequent Contributor

BACH RESCUE REMEDY/ ANYONE TRY THIS?

I gave this to our Sheltie the day before N.Y.EVE, to see how he would react to it, and it had the opposite effect on him. He was more hyper than usual. I have talked to other pet owners that have tried this and they have had really good results. I am wondering if it is his breed.

It is so awful to see what the fireworks on N.Y.EVE, and JULY 4th do to him and the only other option is to give him a sedative that the vet prescribed. I really wanted to go the natural route. Anyone else tried this or know why this effected him this way, or have any ideas on what to try?

BACH RESCUE REMEDY: homeopathic formula to bring natural stress relief for pets, it is alcohol free, safe and gentle.

Regular Contributor

Re: BACH RESCUE REMEDY/ ANYONE TRY THIS?

I don't know what the active ingredient is in the Bach remedy so I can't comment on why it caused your dog hyper. I am all for natural, holistic remedies, however, I have read that there is no science supporting the Bach remedies. (?)

What I do know is that vet prescribed sedatives and OTC remedies such as Benedryl have negative side effects on your dogs brain and those side effects are cumulative. So I would agree with you that it's best to use something harm-free to calm your dog.

Have you tried the Thundershirt for dogs?

Have you looked into the ear plugs and/or ear muffs for dogs?

Smile

Frequent Contributor

I have not had occasion to use this since my dogs are not generally fearful. However, I was told by our former homeopathic vet (now deceased) that it works for about 80% of dogs and does nothing for the rest. It's hit or miss.

For temporary fearful situations (fireworks, etc...) you might try a thundershirt, as 57babe suggested. For longer term situations, I would try to work with a holistic or homeopathic vet on solutions. You can find one at www.ahvma.org

While it's true that homeopathic remedies are not always tested in a double-blind/placebo "test" (what modern western medicine terms refers to when it insists on seeing studies and "science" ), keep in mind that that is probably also true for a great number of medicines and treatments that are regularly dispensed and have shown to be quite harmful in many ways (chemotherapy, for one). Medicines are often pulled once they've been released by the FDA because of side effects which appear over time. The public is the "test site" -- something to keep in mind. I agree that the fewer the poisonous concoctions you can use, the better for your animal in general. Acupuncture can do wonders for fearful dogs if you can find a vet who is licensed in it. I subscribe to a wonderful magazine - Dogs Naturally -- which has been a wonderful, tremendous resource for us. (dogsnaturallymagazine.com) Hope that helps!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for responding, and for your sugesstions I will keep searching for alternatives. I have a thundershirt that belonged to our collie, maybe I can cut it down because it is quite large, our collie weighed close to 100 pounds and our sheltie weighs 21 pounds.

Regular Contributor

There are also some dog pheromones that might help calm your dog . Have you looked into these? Is that what the Bach remedy is?

I've used the cat (synthetic) pheromone; Feliway and it worked to calm my sick cat.

Again, I don't know what the active ingredient is in these synthetic pheromones, but I suppose that using a synthetic pheromone a couple of times a year wouldn't so bad for your dog.

Smile

Frequent Contributor

On 1/2/2014 57babe said:

There are also some dog pheromones that might help calm your dog . Have you looked into these? Is that what the Bach remedy is?

I've used the cat (synthetic) pheromone; Feliway and it worked to calm my sick cat.

Again, I don't know what the active ingredient is in these synthetic pheromones, but I suppose that using a synthetic pheromone a couple of times a year wouldn't so bad for your dog.

Smile

Rescue Remedy is one of the flower essences which Dr. Edward Bach discovered had some impact on emotional imbalances. They work for some, not for others. Good for both animals and humans.

Valued Contributor

I have used it for myself, but never on my pets. I have not used any of the Bach products for a few years now, but I used to be a bit more "into" the more natural healing remedies. They also have their essential flower essences. Which is really interesting just to learn about. They're available at Whole Foods and you can find out what type of essence would work best for you and then purchase from there.