Honored Contributor

Re: B.J. Thomas Dies From Lung Cancer

He has been doing the info. commercial for Time Life's classic rock with about 10 cd.'s 

I came up on in the middle of the info. and it took awhile until I figured out it was B.J. Thomas doing the commercial.  He looked vaguely familiar and his voice I knew I knew.  He was wonderful.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Witchy Woman. I have been going to Gordon Lightfoot concerts since the mid-1970s, for almost 50 yrs. I lose track of time but I'd say in the early to mid 1980s he was great musically but horrid personally during the concerts.. He rarely said anything but when he did he was so hostile and, well, nasty. I learned later that it was a period when he had a real problem with alcohol. (Also during that time I saw him once  in a theater-in-the-round where the stage turned around 360 degrees and when I saw him from the side he had quite the beer belly!) Over the past 25 years when I've seen him he has been delightful, talking between some songs telling us why and where he wrote them, etc and very grateful to the audience for coming to see him.   The downside now is that his voice is shot.  I'll never forget though how hostile he was to the audience in the 1980s.  

Wow, that's something.  He is very thin now.  I don't recall how old he is, but he's up there.  I always liked his music.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Pearlee 

That kind of behavior is so unfortunate.  While I don't expect them to come into the audience and hug me, I want them to at least act like they are happy to still be alive Cat LOL

A big disappointment was seeing Jackson Brown by himself with just a line of guitars on stage.  It was terrible and he seemed deeply depressed.  Even songs I had loved seemed awful.  I felt bad for him, but who knows what is going on in their lives.

We left early.

I'm glad Gordon redeemed himself, but, yes, when their voice is awful, it makes you cringe.  

That is a strange concert, Jackson Browne with no back up band.  He used to tour with a band.  And he was good.