Honored Contributor

Re: Autumn the giraffe is expecting again

@Marp wrote:

There are a couple of other photos on the zoo's FB page.  The link is to the FAQ.

Here's a few photos from this morning, along with a Giraffe FAQ... thanks for all your inquiries and well wishes! http://bit.ly/1PUJPkg

•  
    Giraffe FAQ | Greenville Zoo, SC

oh my gosh such a sweet photo! What a good, attentive mama!

Honored Contributor

The whole thing is just fascinating to watch!  Bless his little heart!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@LTT1 is it a male? I didn't watch the video but glad everything went well and the baby looks healthy. It sounded like her last birth didn't end well?

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@LTT1 is it a male? I didn't watch the video but glad everything went well and the baby looks healthy. It sounded like her last birth didn't end well?

@HappyDaze, we don't know the gender yet.  On the 12th the zoo will make a formal announcement of the gender and the name chosen.

Autumn's baby Kiko is at Toronto Zoo as part of the breeding program.  Her second calf was stillborn.  Thankfully this one appears to be very healthy.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@HappyDaze, we don't know the gender yet.  On the 12th the zoo will make a formal announcement of the gender and the name chosen.

Autumn's baby Kiko is at Toronto Zoo as part of the breeding program.  Her second calf was stillborn.  Thankfully this one appears to be very healthy.

Thank you for the information. In general, I am against zoos but I do know some do good work. I don't know much about the Toronto zoo so will have to check into it further and see what their breeding programs are all about.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze,

Walter and Autumn, the adult giraffes at Greenville Zoo are on loan.  They are part of the Masai giraffe preservation breeding program.  This calf will be going to another zoo when old enough to be part of the program.  If Walter and Autumn have a third calf that one will stay at Greenville zoo and when old enough a suitable partner will be brought in.  If I remember correctly at some point both Walter and Autumn will go to another zoo.  I don't know if they will go together or to different zoos.

From the little bit I have learned the husbandry behind this program prevents interbreeding and gives the Masai giraffe the best chance of surviving as a sub-species of giraffe.  It is believed there are fewer than 37,000 Masai giraffes left in the wild and they are heavily poached, as are all giraffes.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I know I can't but I'd love to kiss that calf's nose.  That face, heck even Autumn and Walter's faces - there's just something about them - they are kissable.

you might need a step ladder - i just learn that they measure 6 feet tall for a newborn -  I'm sure baby will bend a bit for a smooch from you

Honored Contributor

@Marp

Wow, I never considered they might separate Walter and Autumn - that makes me want to cry.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Yahooey

I'm 5'10, I'll stand on my toesies for a smooch.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Yahooey

I'm 5'10, I'll stand on my toesies for a smooch.

Cat Tongue

I'm 5'8", so I guess I'll have to stand on your shoulders.