Honored Contributor

Autumn 2018 info.

[ Edited ]

My favorite season...

'Officially' here on Sept. 22nd, but the weather in many areas won't cool down and be crisper until October.

SO worth the wait, though.

When will Fall arrive for you? Forecasters reveal 2018 prediction map for 'earlier than normal' season

• The map is meant to help travelers better time their trips to catch fall leaves
  • Analyzes several million data points including historic temperatures and precipitation, forecast temperatures and precipitation, and historical leaf trends

If you're already over the sweltering summer and ready for fall, help is at hand. 

Researchers have revealed an interactive Fall Foliage Prediction Map.

The map uses an algorithm that analyzes several million data points including historic temperatures and precipitation, forecast temperatures and precipitation and historical leaf trends and observation trends. 

However, forecasters warm we could be in for an unusually warm fall. 

fall foliage map 2018  darker red areas represent peak fall foliage, and lighter areas represent minimal fall foliage

Use this map interactively at:

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map

Just click and slide the bar at the bottom.

The latest version of the map allows users to see how leaves will change color across the US from now until the end of October, and it's meant to help travelers better time their trips to have the best opportunity of catching peak color each year. 

Some of the data used by the algorithm include: NOAA historical temperatures, precipitation, forecast temperatures, forecast precipitation and historical leaf peak trends.  

"Each year, we use a proprietary algorithm to process millions of data pieces and output accurate predictions for the entire country,' said Wes Melton, the creator of the map.

Once the data is processed, the map outputs over 50,000 pieces of predictive data and then displays it on an interactive map.

According to Accuweather, 'it will be a gradual transition to fall for the Northeast and mid-Atlantic this year, as warmth lingers for both regions.

'The Southeast will remain at risk for a tropical impact and flooding rainfall while the Southwest sizzles in scorching heat.

'Meanwhile, the central and northern Plains will get a little bit of everything, including the threat for some early-season snow.'

GET READY FOR A WARM FALL 

According to Accuweather, 'it will be a gradual transition to fall for the Northeast and mid-Atlantic this year, as warmth lingers for both regions.

The Southeast will remain at risk for a tropical impact and flooding rainfall while the Southwest sizzles in scorching heat.

Meanwhile, the central and northern Plains will get a little bit of everything, including the threat for some early-season snow.'

Gradual transition to fall in store for Northeast, mid-Atlantic and eastern Ohio Valley

A warm fall is predicted overall for the Northeast and mid-Atlantic as chilly air takes its time to arrive.

Warmth is set to linger across upstate New York, New England and the northern mid-Atlantic states, with nights cooling off before daytime highs start to drop. 

WHY DO LEAVES CHANGE COLOR IN FALL?

Leaves typically produce their vivid hues of green from spring through summer into early fall through the constant creation of Chlorophyll. 

Chlorophyll is the compound that allows plants to convert sunlight energy into glucose to feed them, and these Chlorophyll compounds saturate the leaves, making them appear green. 

As fall days begin to get shorter, the production of Chlorophyll slows to a halt, eventually giving way to the 'true' color of the leaf.  

Then, in preparation for the freezing temperatures of winter, trees slowly close off the veins that carry water and nutrients to and from the leaves with a layer of new cells that form at the base of the lead stem, protecting the limbs and body of the tree. 

Once thus process is complete, water and nutrients no longer flow to and from the leaf, and this allows the lead to due and weaken at the stem, eventually falling gracefully to the ground.  

When the leaves fall to the ground, they break down and create a rich humus on the forest floor that absorbs dew and rainfall, and this 'sponge' acts as a continual source of nutrients and water for trees and plants, helping to promote life and plant health in the next spring season. 

Orange leaves: Beta-Carotene is one of the most common carotenoids present in most leaves, and it strongly absorbs blue and green light, reflecting yellow and red light from the sun, giving leaves their orange hue. 

Red leaves: But unlike beta-carotenoids, pigments called anthocyanins increase in production in autumn, protecting the leaf and prolong its like on the tree through autumn, and making the leaf look red. 

Yellow leaves: And flavonols are a compound that are always present in leaves, and contribute to the yellow color of egg yolks. They make leaves yellow, but are not seen until the production of Chlorophyll begins to slow. 

Image result for autumn small

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Autumn 2018 info.

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Too bad that graphic doesn't slow down long enough to figure it out and read it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We don't really get the spring and fall experience here in Florida. Just winter to summer. DH & I are missing Pa. and we'll really miss our trip south in Oct. thru the beautiful mountains of West Virginia, Virginia & North Carolina. Always gorgeous in the fall.We have decided that next year we are going to go to Pittsburgh for the month of Oct. as we both feel we'll enjoy fall up north the most.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Too bad that graphic doesn't slow down long enough to figure it out and read it.

i felt the same way @Kachina624.

it was actually making me a bit queasy to try and watch it!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Autumn 2018 info.

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624@sunshine45, & everyone else:

Sorry for the interactive link (see above) delay.   

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Starbucks told me it was fall Tuesday when Pumpkin Spice rolled out. That is what I go by.

@Nancy Drew.   I, on the other hand, depend heavily on the arrival of Pumpkin Pie Blizzards at Dairy Queen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've been watching the leaves changing color for the past few weeks in Albuquerque.  Some of the trees are getting yellow patches; the Chinese pistaches in our neighborhood park are turning orange and red.

It's like someone flipped a switch.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I've been watching the trees (mainly young saplings) already start turning color since the beginning of August here. Yes, color season is spectacular where I live, but its so short-lived that you blink and its gone. Then its on to raking up all of those pesky leaves. Ugh. But it is a beautiful sight when the trees are full color and the reflection on our lake. Breathtaking. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We don't really get the spring and fall experience here in Florida. Just winter to summer. DH & I are missing Pa. and we'll really miss our trip south in Oct. thru the beautiful mountains of West Virginia, Virginia & North Carolina. Always gorgeous in the fall.We have decided that next year we are going to go to Pittsburgh for the month of Oct. as we both feel we'll enjoy fall up north the most.

@151949

That sounds perfect! I was just thinking I’d love to spend every October in PA! It is breathtakingly beautiful in the fall. I do love Florida but I always miss fall.