Respected Contributor

Auto Insurance Likes/Dislikes

I have been with State Farm since 1981, but this month my bill went up an additional $30 per month because I made a claim. After Hurricane Irma when the yards were cleared there was debris on both sides of the road. A Palm Fron got stuck under my car and it damaged the drive shaft. State Farm paid $1000 for the repair. I am going to shop around for other auto insurance quotes, what do you like? dislike about your auto insurer? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Auto Insurance Likes/Dislikes

i dont know where you live, but we use ERIE INSURANCE and have for the past 7 years or so. we have been very pleased with them......so pleased that even my mother switched over all of her insurances to ERIE.

prior to that we used NATIONWIDE. they were also great to deal with, but when we got the quote from ERIE it was significantly less than what we were paying with NATIONWIDE.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We have State Farm too. Right now we have four cars, two boats, two RV’s and our home insured through them.  My SIL is our agent.

We have had State Farm for over 40 years and not made one claim , except for a car that was totaled..Other drivers fault.

Every year the insurance goes up.  We received a RV ins bill last week and it was more than $100 more than last year..no claims were made.

i have wanted to shop around for years, but my DH does not want to hurt his sisters feelings by switching.  The bill we got last week finally put him over the edge.

i am looking for Insurance for a better rate too.  My credit union has some great offers that I am interested in checking out.  I know to check their AM Best score before I sign up.

Good luck.  I think insurance is a racket.  I have complained for years that health insurance is so expensive because they pay millions out for bodily harm in auto accidents....far more than your auto insurance does.  

Respected Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

We have State Farm too. Right now we have four cars, two boats, two RV’s and our home insured through them.  My SIL is our agent.

We have had State Farm for over 40 years and not made one claim , except for a car that was totaled..Other drivers fault.

Every year the insurance goes up.  We received a RV ins bill last week and it was more than $100 more than last year..no claims were made.

i have wanted to shop around for years, but my DH does not want to hurt his sisters feelings by switching.  The bill we got last week finally put him over the edge.

i am looking for Insurance for a better rate too.  My credit union has some great offers that I am interested in checking out.  I know to check their AM Best score before I sign up.

Good luck.  I think insurance is a racket.  I have complained for years that health insurance is so expensive because they pay millions out for bodily harm in auto accidents....far more than your auto insurance does.  

The reason health insurance pays so much for injuries caused by auto accidents is because your personal med pay coverage usually has a fairly low limit. $5,000 is common.

Bodily injury liability payments are also subject to limits. In other words, no matter how serious the injury, the most you can recover is the limit of the responsible party's liability insurance.

Health insurance kicks in if the injury is serious or the auto coverage runs out.  Health insurance typically doesnt have the policy limits that auto policies do. Auto insurance was never meant to be a health insurance policy.

Regular Contributor

We've had ERIE for quite a while and are very pleased with it. 

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

@Carmiewrote:

The reason health insurance pays so much for injuries caused by auto accidents is because your personal med pay coverage usually has a fairly low limit. $5,000 is common.

Bodily injury liability payments are also subject to limits. In other words, no matter how serious the injury, the most you can recover is the limit of the responsible party's liability insurance.

Health insurance kicks in if the injury is serious or the auto coverage runs out.  Health insurance typically doesnt have the policy limits that auto policies do. Auto insurance was never meant to be a health insurance policy.

Yes, I know all about health insurance and what it covers. I retired from the health insurance industry.. I have seen million dollar claims  come in for head injuries for auto accidents.

Auto insurance is too expensive.  It doesn’t pay out huge amounts for anything.  Everything is capped.  People usually have 5k to 10k for bodily injury and then the insurance pays  an amount that is lower than what you can  purchase the same model car for.  You insurance does not go down when your car loses value.  If you paid 45k for a new car, in 10 years your car would not be worth much, but your insurance probably has gone up and not down.  

Auto Insurance is even expensive if you own a clunker.  I know we have to I have it, but it Is still too expensive for what people get out of it even in the worse of cases.

In Pennsylvania, the responsible party does not pay for  your bodily injuries or wrecked car.  Your insurance pays your claims and the other drivers insurance pays for theirs.  We have no fault insurance.

Respected Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

@Carmiewrote:

Yes, I know all about health insurance and what it covers. I retired from the health insurance industry.. I have seen million dollar claims  come in for head injuries for auto accidents.

Auto insurance is too expensive.  It doesn’t pay out huge amounts for anything.  Everything is capped.  People usually have 5k to 10k for bodily injury and then the insurance pays  an amount that is lower than what you can  purchase the same model car for.  You insurance does not go down when your car loses value.  If you paid 45k for a new car, in 10 years your car would not be worth much, but your insurance probably has gone up and not down.  

Auto Insurance is even expensive if you own a clunker.  I know we have to I have it, but it Is still too expensive for what people get out of it even in the worse of cases.

In Pennsylvania, the responsible party does not pay for  your bodily injuries or wrecked car.  Your insurance pays your claims and the other drivers insurance pays for theirs.  We have no fault insurance.

I spent 40 years in the auto insurance claims business.

Most people don't carry physical damage coverage on "clunkers". Liability insurance coverage (in non no fault states) doesn't have anything to do with the age of the car. It is the driver that is insured.

If auto insurance didn't have limits, the premiums would be as horribly high as health insurance premiums.

I am not a big fan of health insurance companies just as you are not for auto insurance. Both are necessary evils.

Esteemed Contributor

I have also had State Farm for a very long time.  Last fall there was a substantial rate increase.  Your increase may have nothing to do with the claim you filed.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 We had Erie when we lived in Pa. My DH had them since he was 16 & got his license. We had to give them up when we moved to Fl. Here we went with AAA for all our insurance needs - home, auto , hurricane - everything but flood which you have to buy from the government. We have no complaints at all about AAA,and they are reasonably priced. My husband had a claim for about $3000 in 2016 when he hit a deer, no problem, paid it timely and no raise in our rates.

Esteemed Contributor

We have USAA, and have had it for 36 years.  We have never been in the military but my Dad had it based on WWIi and his Reserve status (so I and my family and kids are eligible).  I honestly think it's the best ever and we have made several large claims (once when our pipes froze (in the desert!!!) and flooded our entire house and once when our travel trailer was totalled by a storm while it was parked in an rv park. They have always been fair and very responsive.