Regular Contributor

It's bad because they are started by arsonists. 183 have been arrested so far. This doesn't have to happen. 

Honored Contributor

For anyone interested, the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital is caring for many of the burned and injured koalas and have a GoFundMe page that has raised $4.25 million so far to fund their efforts.

I can't post a link, because I think it may be deemed as 'solicitation' which is against Community Standards.

You can find it by going to GoFundMe and search by the hospital's name.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/11/26/lewis-the-koala-dies-injuries-rescued-australia-wildfires/

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Why haven't other countries come to their aid?  Like maybe us?  There must be some equipment and personnel available to help them.  It just makes me cry.  

Valued Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you for letting us know.  

Honored Contributor

@laluzdelmundo wrote:

We (meaning the U.S.) have sent fire fighters:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/01/06/australia-fires-us-firefighters-join-effort-com...

Here's the text from the above USA Today link, for those who prefer not to click on links:

Scores of U.S. firefighters are joining the international effort to combat Australian bushfires that have killed at least 25 people and destroyed 2,000 homes since September.

The Idaho-based National Interagency Fire Center said it has assigned at least 83 fire personnel to Australia, including 37 in New South Wales and 44 in neighboring Victoria. It's the first time in a decade a major contingent of U.S. firefighters has been pressed into emergency service Down Under.

More help is on the way. About 70 firefighters from Canada and the U.S. are expected to arrive Wednesday. And California's Cal Fire, which has received aid from Australian firefighters to combat devastating fires in California in recent years, said it is closely monitoring the situation in southeast Australia and will send firefighters if needed.

"Having experienced firsthand the devastation that wildfires can create, we share your concern about the wildfires currently ravaging Australia," the agency said in a statement. "We stand with the people of Australia who have supported us during our catastrophic wildfires."

Record heat and drought conspired to ignite almost 24,000 square miles of land, about the size of West Virginia. The fires began months ahead of the normal December to March fire season – summer in Australia.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Australian bush fires

[ Edited ]

While I know that every little bit helps, they're gonna need a lot more help than 153 firefighters, I'm afraid.

Trusted Contributor

@SleepyTime wrote:

It's bad because they are started by arsonists. 183 have been arrested so far. This doesn't have to happen. 

Did not know that. Humans. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

I do not follow this too much as it sickens me.  Just sickening.  The air, the earth, the people the animals ...this is a real human tragedy. You would think the world powers would jump in to send help.  The land is so rugged in most areas it is hard to fight fires.  I know I am in California.

i do know donations are reaching record numbers. The donations are for animal rescue, Red Cross, salvation Army, st vincent de paul.  There are go fund me pages.  So hard for us to do anything but donate to a trusted group who is there and can help!,

god Bless the people, land and animals in Australia.

Honored Contributor

Scale of Australia fires to the USA:

Image result for scale of australia fires map

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh