Valued Contributor

Re: Australian Bride To Be Shot While Reporting Possible Crime

The mayor's press conference...holy cow! People are done with the whole lot of them, from the mayor on down.

Trusted Contributor

First, I offer condolences to Ms. Damond and her family.  This was tragic in all ways and I hope justice prevails.

Isobel Archer, thanks for posting this information from the NYTimes. In many ways, the responses to these "events" are shaped by the victim's status: race, gender, class, and for some  whether they are justifiable because the officer was in fear of his/her/their lives because the dead person was "big" dark, and appeared menacing; or was "murder" of an innocent, ideal citizen (blonde, woman).  Sadly, all lives are not valued equally or similarly by many and the two cases in Minnesota support my assertation. See the comments made by the attorney that represents the family of Ms. Damond and those for the family of his other client, Philando Castile (see article on The Root website).

Respected Contributor

Re: Australian Bride To Be Shot While Reporting Possible Crime,

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Apparently, the Chief made comments about the officer not following proper procedure and since he is Black, that outraged the Black community who believed that she was not supporting him in the same way she would support a white officer.

From the New York Times:  

Nekima Levy-Pounds, a civil rights lawyer and activist running for mayor of Minneapolis, said Chief Harteau 'needed to be fired." Ms. Levy-Pounds said it had been "a slap in the face to people of color" that the chief spoke out about the death of Ms. Damond, who was white, after defending officers involved in past shootings of black people.

Chief Harteau was the first woman to serve as Minneapolis police chief and is also openly gay. She worked her way through the ranks of the department after joining in 1987, and she was seen by some nationally as a police reformer who outfitted officers with body cameras and advocated restorative justice. But locally, her department faced frequent protests and criticisms for its use of force and treatment of black people.

You have got to be kidding me

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Apparently, the Chief made comments about the officer not following proper procedure and since he is Black, that outraged the Black community who believed that she was not supporting him in the same way she would support a white officer.

From the New York Times:  

Nekima Levy-Pounds, a civil rights lawyer and activist running for mayor of Minneapolis, said Chief Harteau 'needed to be fired." Ms. Levy-Pounds said it had been "a slap in the face to people of color" that the chief spoke out about the death of Ms. Damond, who was white, after defending officers involved in past shootings of black people.

Chief Harteau was the first woman to serve as Minneapolis police chief and is also openly gay. She worked her way through the ranks of the department after joining in 1987, and she was seen by some nationally as a police reformer who outfitted officers with body cameras and advocated restorative justice. But locally, her department faced frequent protests and criticisms for its use of force and treatment of black people.

@Isobel Archer  I don't see anything in the documented quotation you posted that says what you do in your first statement (in red).  Did you exaggerate something?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

From the New York Times:  

@Isobel Archer  I don't see anything in the documented quotation you posted that says what you do in your first statement (in red).  Did you exaggerate something?

@PearleeFrom the same NYT Article:  Chief Harteau, a 30-year veteran of the Minneapolis police force, said in a statement that “the recent incidents do not reflect the training and procedures we’ve developed as a department.”

The next statement I quoted shows that this offended the community who believed she was showing bias toward Blacks.

I didn't quote the entire article.  So no, I didn't "exaggerate" something.  We are not supposed to post links so I didn't, but Google is your friend if you think I misrepresented the NYT article.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

From the New York Times:  

@PearleeFrom the same NYT Article:  Chief Harteau, a 30-year veteran of the Minneapolis police force, said in a statement that “the recent incidents do not reflect the training and procedures we’ve developed as a department.”

The next statement I quoted shows that this offended the community who believed she was showing bias toward Blacks.

I didn't quote the entire article.  So no, I didn't "exaggerate" something.  We are not supposed to post links so I didn't, but Google is your friend if you think I misrepresented the NYT article.

@Isobel Archer  But that's all a lot different that your statement that she said the police officer didn't follow proper procedure because he is black!  I read the article you referenced in the NYT and there was no such statement. Therefore I feel that you exaggerated what was stated. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

From the New York Times:  

@Isobel Archer  But that's all a lot different that your statement that she said the police officer didn't follow proper procedure because he is black!  I read the article you referenced in the NYT and there was no such statement. Therefore I feel that you exaggerated what was stated. 

@PearleePlease reread the first sentence:  She said procedures were not followoed  AND SINCE (not because he was Black, but BECAUSE of her statement)....  What follows "and since" explains WHY the Black community was outraged.  The police chief said he didn't follow procedures and because of HER STATEMENT the community believed she showed bias.

I did NOT say she said he didn't follow procedures SINCE (because) he was Black.  

Please explain how my sentence in any way says that the Police Chief said he did not follow procedures because he was black.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I was surprised it was ruled a homicide so quickly.

Why?  When one person kills another it's homicide.  The question then becomes if the person who killed her is guilty of murder, manslaughter, etc. or not.

Well take a look at all the police involved shootings lately, I believe every single policman has been found not guilty even when the camers are rolling.  This story of this young woman is very sad.

Respected Contributor

ABC is now reporting that there is a witness who may have filmed the shooting.

Honored Contributor

Getting tired of people nit-picking posts around here.  We are all intelligent enough to read the intent of the remarks made by the Chief and by the Mayor.

@Isobel Archer  Your post was just fine. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh