Honored Contributor

Re: Australian Bride-To-Be Shot While Reporting Possible Crime

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Now there are reports that the officer in the driver's seat was "stunned" by the other officer shooting.

So how about documenting such reports?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

@tansy wrote:

There needs to be swift and severe consequences for not turning on body cameras.  

@tansy ... I totally agree. The camera should be on from the minute they sign on to the shift until the shift is over. That way, there is no "I forgot." It would also help ensure that officers' conduct is appropriate at all times.

"Per police department policy, body cameras are supposed to be turned on prior to use of force "as soon as it is safe to do so" or during "any contact involving criminal activity."

Source:  http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/us/minneapolis-woman-shooting-what-we-know/index.html

As both were still sitting inside the car, I feel it safe to surmise neither officer thought he was yet in "prior use of force" or in "contact involving criminal activity."

You can mark me as one of those who appreciates the work done by our police force.  They are human beings, not perfect beings, asked to work in the worst of environments with the dregs of society, while being judged by everyone who wasn't there. 

From your source, just below your quote:  'The policy also says officers are supposed to wear their body cameras "during their shift at all times when they could reasonably anticipate that they may become involved in a situation for which activation is appropriate in accordance with this policy."'

(Emphasis added).  They were certainly during their shift, and as they were responding to a call regarding potential criminal activity, they could reasonably anticipate they may become involved in contact involving criminal activity.

The whole point of body camera policies is to protect police officers.  They can't do that if the camera rules aren't followed. If there were footage of this incident, it would be much clearer much faster exactly what caused this woman's death.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Now there are reports that the officer in the driver's seat was "stunned" by the other officer shooting.

I believe that, in more ways than one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

So how about documenting such reports?  

How about it?

What do you expect me to do - post links, which will get the post deleted?

It's on the Daily Mail.

Honored Contributor

If you've read my posts lately, that's precisely what I do when I think a link will get the post deleted.  I cite my source so people can go look at it and it's not just an "I heard" or "I've read" nebulous type of thing.  So yes, the Daily Mail certainly does help.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

According to the Daily Mail article that @YorkieonmyPillow   cited (always good to cite your source if you can't provide a link)  also states:  "Autopsy results reveal Damond, who was wearing her pyjamas when she was shot by policeman Noor, died as a result of a homicide."     

It wouldn't  surprise me, given what the same article states about the policeman's partner and his reaction,  if the policeman  (Noor) is charged with murder after the investigation. 

Esteemed Contributor

THe police car dash board camera was not in use nor were the body cameras.  Why are police depts outfitting their officers and squad cars with these high tech items if they are not going to turn them on?

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

@tansy wrote:

There needs to be swift and severe consequences for not turning on body cameras.  

@tansy ... I totally agree. The camera should be on from the minute they sign on to the shift until the shift is over. That way, there is no "I forgot." It would also help ensure that officers' conduct is appropriate at all times.

"Per police department policy, body cameras are supposed to be turned on prior to use of force "as soon as it is safe to do so" or during "any contact involving criminal activity."

Source:  http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/us/minneapolis-woman-shooting-what-we-know/index.html

As both were still sitting inside the car, I feel it safe to surmise neither officer thought he was yet in "prior use of force" or in "contact involving criminal activity."

You can mark me as one of those who appreciates the work done by our police force.  They are human beings, not perfect beings, asked to work in the worst of environments with the dregs of society, while being judged by everyone who wasn't there. 

From your source, just below your quote:  'The policy also says officers are supposed to wear their body cameras "during their shift at all times when they could reasonably anticipate that they may become involved in a situation for which activation is appropriate in accordance with this policy."'

(Emphasis added).  They were certainly during their shift, and as they were responding to a call regarding potential criminal activity, they could reasonably anticipate they may become involved in contact involving criminal activity.

The whole point of body camera policies is to protect police officers.  They can't do that if the camera rules aren't followed. If there were footage of this incident, it would be much clearer much faster exactly what caused this woman's death.

I posted the rules for that state on this line.

They are to have their cameras on while responding to a call, before they even get there.

Honored Contributor

Re: Australian Bride To Be Shot While Reporting Possible Crime

From The Star Tribune: Minneapolis police release final bodycam policy

The guidelines address when officers would record police-citizen interactions and how that data would be stored. Under the new plan, sworn officers would be required to turn on the devices during all traffic and suspicious-person stops, car chases and searches, in addition to any use of force.

Gov. Mark Dayton signed a bill last month that would restrict most bodycam video from public review. Video showing a discharge of a firearm or use of force that results in substantial bodily harm would still be released after an investigation is closed.

Audio and video collected by MPD during “significant incidents,” including those that result in death or great bodily harm, felony crimes, squad accidents and domestic abuse interviews will be saved for at least seven years. General recordings and petty misdemeanors will be saved for just one year.

Honored Contributor

Re: Australian Bride To Be Shot While Reporting Possible Crime

I was surprised it was ruled a homicide so quickly.