Respected Contributor

Re: Aussie Olympic Athletes Behaving Badly

Well for a change it wasn't my lot - the Brits.  

Working in music biz/tours, etc, saw so many bands after gig parties breaking up hotel rooms from Brits, Americans, Germans, etc.,  - while not condoning this behaviour it is not a new thing.  

I imagine these 'partygoers' letting off steam after finishing their 'work' and stress from Covid they just let it all go.  

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

Well for a change it wasn't my lot - the Brits.  

Working in music biz/tours, etc, saw so many bands after gig parties breaking up hotel rooms from Brits, Americans, Germans, etc.,  - while not condoning this behaviour it is not a new thing.  

I imagine these 'partygoers' letting off steam after finishing their 'work' and stress from Covid they just let it all go.  

Got nothing to do with Covid.  I'm of the firm belief it has more to do with who they are and what they do (professional athletes) that are full of themselves.  

Team USA swimmers didn't something similar in Brazil.  It's despicable behavior just because you just want to "let off steam."  @dulwich 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Tokyo Olympic Village is not coming "down."  It is scheduled to be repurposed as residential housing, as has occurred in numerous past host cities successfully.  Perhaps there are some "temporary " wall installations, but this Village was constructed with future use considerations. 

The sustainable cardboard beds are designed and engineered to hold up to 440 pounds.

c8b09d34d9fe4e4f9a4f9362c79ada16.jpg

Honored Contributor

Professional athletes vs Professional party players:

Game results. 19-0

Maybe time for the Aussie's team/coach to do some reflection.  

Honored Contributor

I thought there was a news story about them causing issues on the plane ride home as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What's the saying., people in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones....

Australian chef de mission Ian Chesterman had this to say about the overall conduct of the Aussie athletes in Japan--- Only a few displayed inappropriate behavior----

'Let's be clear, the vast majority of athletes have absolutely done the right thing through their stay and been model citizens both on and off the field of play,' he said. 'A few have let themselves down and, as we have high standards, the matters were reported to the national federations and they will deal with those athletes involved. It has all been appropriately dealt with and we have put the matter behind us here. I continue to be happy impressed by the behaviour and spirit of this team.'

Yes, NOT all of Australia's athletes are misbehaving. Patrick "Patty" Mills is from Australia and played with my NBA Spurs, he's always been a gentlemen on and off the court and has adone a to help people in the community  in both Texas and Australia .... He was also proud and honored to be Australia's Co-Flagbearer...  

Several US athletes during this year's Tokyo Olympics blatantly have showed disrespect towards the U.S. and the US Flag, these actions are prohibited by the Olympic Committee and the Olympic Charter...The Olympic guidance in Rule 50 Part two of the guidelines which have been in place since 2018 and directly prohibit “demonstrations of a political, religious, or racial nature in Olympic venues (during competition and on the podium)."   One arrogant athlete was quoted, "let them try to take this medal from me"....🙄 

And let's review, the incident with some USA Delegation members thqat happened in RIO during the Olympics there. ......Here's how the incident was described on the night in question:

"As we understand it, the four athletes (Bentz, Conger, Feigen and Ryan Lochte) left France House early in the morning of August 14 in a taxi headed to the Olympic Village. They stopped at a gas station to use the restroom, where one of the athletes committed an act of vandalism. An argument ensued between the athletes and two armed gas station security staff, who displayed their weapons, ordered the athletes from their vehicle and demanded the athletes provide a monetary payment. Once the security officials received money from the athletes, the athletes were allowed to leave."  Ryan Lochte was suspended from competition for 0 monthsThe three other U.S. swimmers who were with Lochte that night — Gunnar Bentz, 20; Jack Conger, 21; and James Feigen, 26 — were hit with four-month suspensions and other punishments......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I thought there was a news story about them causing issues on the plane ride home as well.

That too @Lipstickdiva .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The sustainable cardboard beds are designed and engineered to hold up to 440 pounds.

Ooof. I don't think I see much of a mattress on those beds. At least they don't look like corrugated cat scratchers like I was imagining.

I am all for sustainability. As long as it is just as usable and well designed and desirable as unsustainable options.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

According to a news release from Inside the Games, the beds "will be recycled into paper products after the Games, with the mattress components recycled into new plastic products. This will be the first time in Olympic and Paralympic history that all beds and bedding are made almost entirely from renewable materials."