Honored Contributor

Re: August used to be back to school!

amen to August to being deluged with robo calls for medicare, supplemental insurances and such. I too am on medicare.

When I was in school we were in school by mid August and out by May (mid).

We never got block classes, we got the regular reading,writing, arthimatic. We learned how to print and write (cursive). We turned out OK.  all these new rules are for the birds to me.

now the kids don't have homework, no books to bring home. we had to carry a mound of heavy books daily back and forth to home/school.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I agree! I had 15 calls yesterday from someplace in Montana....I don't even bother, just block. I used to be on a "do not call" list, but guess they have figured out away around those now.

@lovesrecess  I thought the Do Not Call Registry only blocks reputable numbers from reputable businesses.

It doesn't protect you from scam callers.

Unless it's been updated I thought programs like NoMoreRoboCall would stop the scam calls.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Frequent Contributor

@Shanus...gee, I look forward to even more email spam. Not! Right now, I get heaps of junk email in Spanish. I have no idea how I got on a Spanish junk mail list.

Especially love the voice mails that the local "cops" are "gonna take you under custody" if you don’t pay your tax/jury duty/traffic ticket immediately!! If you're gonna fake a call, at least get the lingo right! Delete!

I wish there were a way to stop the neighborhood spam calls. They show up as actual names, but the callers are spoofers. Does no good to block because the same spoofers just use a new number. I’ve gotten calls from a local hotel, high end handbag store, local businesses. No way they are real! But they certainly are annoying.

Honored Contributor

I'm on SS, Medicare and never get any calls for geriatric products or services.  Wonder where they get your phone numbers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@dragonflyveb wrote:

Now that I am on Medicare, August is the start of a deluge of spam calls for Medicare, braces, funeral insurance, hearing aids, credit card debt resolution, etc., etc. Yada, yada.

Thank goodness for caller ID! Now, if they could figure out a way to stop the spoofing calls. . .no point in blocking them because they keep changing the number.

@dragonflyveb  Are you also getting the emails for elevators for the stairs, walk in tubs, scooters, etc.?  

No but lately I have been getting calls saying someone from my household has indicated they have leg/knee/back pain and how Medicare will pay for braces that are for those problems.  Well, I didn't contact anyone about that, don't have any of those issues and I'm not old enough for Medicare yet.  Argh!! 

Honored Contributor

Oh My so I am not alone I will start Medicare in November and the calls that are coming in are crazy.

All my calls go to my cell which only puts calls through that are on my list.

So lots of strange messages

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I love the call blocker that was a TSV not too long ago! It is pre-programed to stop the most commonly known nationally used nuisance calls. Then you put in what numbers you want to block plus you can stop a new call by hitting #7 so that number can't get through to you again. The robocalls switch  to new numbers but it has decreased them for me. That and being on various "do not call" lists seems to be helping. Of course, junk mail is delivered.......

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Silver Lining wrote:

I love the call blocker that was a TSV not too long ago! It is pre-programed to stop the most commonly known nationally used nuisance calls. Then you put in what numbers you want to block plus you can stop a new call by hitting #7 so that number can't get through to you again. The robocalls switch  to new numbers but it has decreased them for me. That and being on various "do not call" lists seems to be helping. Of course, junk mail is delivered.......

I get little junk mail anymore.  A few years ago I signed an opt out on a site for direct marketing stuff.  However, moved in here 1.5 years ago and I think the builder may have sold my info bc the little junk mail I do get is all for local companies and for specific things that I have that were options in this home or were for appliances and things whose limited warranties now are expired.  

Trusted Contributor

i get very such calals as i would anwere the phone and when i got a real pewrson on the line, i called them some ver choice names and told them to stop calling my number.  i think they got the message. or they disliked being cussed at.

Contributor

@dragonflyveb wrote:

Now that I am on Medicare, August is the start of a deluge of spam calls for Medicare, braces, funeral insurance, hearing aids, credit card debt resolution, etc., etc. Yada, yada.

Thank goodness for caller ID! Now, if they could figure out a way to stop the spoofing calls. . .no point in blocking them because they keep changing the number.

Robocalls are bad all year long. Not worse one time or another in our case anyway.