Respected Contributor

Re: Attn: Free toilets in California!

@jannabelle1 wrote:

So your private water company is absorbing the cost of all those new toilets! That's pretty hard to believe! Honestly, I don't care - it's your taxes! I don't live in California.

Yes, it's their taxes.  However, at least California is doing "something" to conserve water in a state that truly needs it.  If the cost is laid out now and not after a disaster, it's money well spent.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

I had to help a relative get up from my old toilet. In all the pushing and pulling and tugging, the toilet came off its base and the entire downstairs of my house smelled like the foulest sulphur you can imagine. I replaced that toilet with the highest one I could find. The relative has not been back to use it.
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@september wrote:

that's not my water company, but that's great.  Do you get to choose your color?Smiley Happy

I remember a few years back, when we were remodeling, we got many rebates from our water company as well as PG&E for choosing appliance models that were part of the rebate programs. 

No choice of color, @september . :-) We're white toilet people anyway.

That could be a double entendre.

Respected Contributor

Wow, that's great!  I wish my water company would do this.  What a great situation to encourage water conservation.  I assume this model of commode is the low flush profile.  Woman Very Happy

I do every single thing I can think of to conserve water daily.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Seriously, if your water company is California Water Service, they are offering to replace your toilets FREE of cost. We checked it out on their website. I found a picture of them on Home Depot (see below). They are $164 each.

The installer came out on time, were very pleasant, and replaced our three toilets in about 30 minutes. They took the old ones. There was absolutely no charge.

@suzyQ3   No charge?  OH YEAH, you paid for it!  One way or another you paid and probaby paid for several other people's as well.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

So who is paying for all those new toilets being installed in your state? You - the taxpayer! Nothing is free!

It isn’t a state program. Her local water company is paying for it. 

Her local water company pays for it with rates they charge, and as a utility probably are ALLOWED to charge by the state or local government.  Which is the same as a tax.  It is a utility rate.  

Respected Contributor

I shouldn't be surprised at the negativity about this creative, worthy project, but I am.

It's a brilliant use of tax money to encourage water conservation. I guess there always has to be a few Eyores among all the Poohs.   😀

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I shouldn't be surprised at the negativity about this creative, worthy project, but I am.

It's a brilliant use of tax money to encourage water conservation. I guess there always has to be a few Eyores among all the Poohs.   😀

@Ms tyrion2 

Groan! (But I'm laughing!)

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 

Groan! (But I'm laughing!)

@Anonymous032819 ,

I know I know. 😎

Sometimes the line is just sitting there begging to be used!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@september wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

So who is paying for all those new toilets being installed in your state? You - the taxpayer! Nothing is free!

It isn’t a state program. Her local water company is paying for it. 

Her local water company pays for it with rates they charge, and as a utility probably are ALLOWED to charge by the state or local government.  Which is the same as a tax.  It is a utility rate.  

The key word here is “probably”.  You or I don’t know where the funding comes from. But even if it turns out that some tax money funds it....I can think of many more worse ways for taxpayer money to be spent.