Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: Free toilets in California!

@Anonymous032819 

"there is no such thing as a free lunch."

yes, someone or some entity is paying and it will probably be passed along to the consumer in some way. we may not always be able to find it easily, but it will come somehow (higher pricing, higher taxes,levy, adjustments to state income tax requirements, etc...). it doesnt matter if it is california, alaska, florida, or any other state.

i did pass this information along to my s/o because he has a home in riverside county that he rents out. i dont remember which water company is there. we have an apartment in sd county that includes water.....we have no separate water bill or electric bill.  august 1st of last year, san diego county raised its water rates 2.16%. they are trying to raise rates again this year and possibly next year.

i have a home in maryland. luckily, our water bill is quite low.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I shouldn't be surprised at the negativity about this creative, worthy project, but I am.

It's a brilliant use of tax money to encourage water conservation. I guess there always has to be a few Eyores among all the Poohs.   😀

It must be nice to live where there is plenty of water.  For those of us who have grown up conserving water, and know what it is like to pay huge amounts of money to have water service, I cannot see why this toilet swap should get any negative reactions.  For those thinking that the toilets are not "free", I think they absolutely can be. 

My mom was able to get a new refrigerator, microwave and light fixtures from PG&E, free, due to a grant.  They were doing energy audits and seniors were eligible for replacements on high energy appliances, etc.  Installation was included.  I can't wait to tell her about the toilet replacement program.  It may not be done here in our area, but it is worth checking out.  

The fact is that the manufactures of these toliets, refrigerators, mictowaves etc. did not just donate these items to the program, they were paid.  The funds to pay the manufactures had to come from somewhere..  Could be higher rates for everyone, federal or state grants (taxes), somehow people are paying for these items.  Just because one person may get something for "free" means someone else is paying for it.

So?

Why is this such a problem?

Isn't saving water a good thing?

Or or you just taking an opportunity to take a swipe at California?

Oh, and there's no such thing as "free" shipping either. 

Afterall, that cost has to be absorbed by someone, somewhere, right?

What is your problem.  I said nothing about CA, get a grip. 

Ahhh, but it's in California where this program is taking place.

And my grip is just fine, thank-you very much for your concern.Woman Very Happy

Utility companies all over the country have various programs from time to time, so it is just not CA.  And non of them are totally free.

And, again, I ask, so? 

Do you have a problem with saving water?

Not playing your game, find someone else to stalk.  Have a good weekend.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I shouldn't be surprised at the negativity about this creative, worthy project, but I am.

It's a brilliant use of tax money to encourage water conservation. I guess there always has to be a few Eyores among all the Poohs.   😀

It must be nice to live where there is plenty of water.  For those of us who have grown up conserving water, and know what it is like to pay huge amounts of money to have water service, I cannot see why this toilet swap should get any negative reactions.  For those thinking that the toilets are not "free", I think they absolutely can be. 

My mom was able to get a new refrigerator, microwave and light fixtures from PG&E, free, due to a grant.  They were doing energy audits and seniors were eligible for replacements on high energy appliances, etc.  Installation was included.  I can't wait to tell her about the toilet replacement program.  It may not be done here in our area, but it is worth checking out.  

The fact is that the manufactures of these toliets, refrigerators, mictowaves etc. did not just donate these items to the program, they were paid.  The funds to pay the manufactures had to come from somewhere..  Could be higher rates for everyone, federal or state grants (taxes), somehow people are paying for these items.  Just because one person may get something for "free" means someone else is paying for it.

So?

Why is this such a problem?

Isn't saving water a good thing?

Or or you just taking an opportunity to take a swipe at California?

Oh, and there's no such thing as "free" shipping either. 

Afterall, that cost has to be absorbed by someone, somewhere, right?

What is your problem.  I said nothing about CA, get a grip. 

Ahhh, but it's in California where this program is taking place.

And my grip is just fine, thank-you very much for your concern.Woman Very Happy

Utility companies all over the country have various programs from time to time, so it is just not CA.  And non of them are totally free.

And, again, I ask, so? 

Do you have a problem with saving water?

Not playing your game, find someone else to stalk.  Have a good weekend.

LOL.

Not stalking, just talking.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

High-Efficiency Toilets:

Half the water but Twice the flush.

Result - Same-Same

When we renovated our bathroom we had no choice but to get a 1.6 gallon toilet and I was dreading it.

I can count on one hand how many times we have had to double flush.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for info @Sooner . I moved to the country in 1981 & have a well & septic so it's been a long time since I used & received a bill from a municipal water system. I was just curious how it worked & have no objections to it but of course free is never really free. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

High-Efficiency Toilets:

Half the water but Twice the flush.

Result - Same-Same

When we renovated our bathroom we had no choice but to get a 1.6 gallon toilet and I was dreading it.

I can count on one hand how many times we have had to double flush.

You must not have SuperPoo.

Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

We have a low flush flush toilet in the upstairs bathroom and I don't like it and I wonder how much it really saves. I have to clean that toilet daily and there is only 2 of us. I have a composting toilet in the first floor powder room which is basically a bucket with a toilet seat on a framed in cabinet. It uses no water and if you use it properly there is no smell and it only needs to be disposed of once a month in our house. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For the record, to all who are griping that they may have to pay for our lovely new toilets :-), our water company, like all the others in our state, are small companies that have a monopoly on water service in a particular district.

Even though it's a private enterprise, its rates are set by an independent third party: the Californai Public Utilities Commission. They can't just will-nilly raise prices, For those who are interested:

FAQ: How are water rates set?

Cal Water’s rates are set by an independent third party, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). The CPUC’s job is to protect customers and make sure that rates are fair and reasonable. Oversight by the CPUC ensures that necessary improvements are made to the water system, that the system is operated efficiently, and that the company only earns a modest return on the funds it invests in water system infrastructure. Rates are based upon “cost of service,” which means that the majority of every dollar a customer pays to Cal Water is dollar-for-dollar what we pay to operate the system.

General Rate Cases

All large water companies regulated by the CPUC are required to file a General Rate Case every three years to ensure that rates accurately reflect the cost of providing service. In the General Rate Case process, the CPUC sets rates to cover the costs of providing water and allow the utility to earn a reasonable return on its investment in the water system. Major costs to operate a water system include purchased electric power, purchased water, treatment costs, groundwater pumping fees, labor, and chemicals.

The six steps in the rate-case process are as follows:

• Cal Water reviews its historical costs, projected costs, and planned water system improvements and prepares a General Rate Case application for the consideration of the CPUC staff.
  • The CPUC Division of Ratepayer Advocates (DRA) analyzes Cal Water’s application and makes a recommendation. DRA usually recommends a smaller increase than that requested by the utility.
  • The CPUC hosts public hearings to receive input from customers on the application. Customers may also write to the CPUC.
  • The CPUC holds a formal hearing, presided over by an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ), which is similar to a court proceeding.
  • The ALJ issues a proposed decision.
  • The CPUC Commissioners vote on the proposed decision. New rates typically become effective five days later. The entire process can take 18 months or more.

Balancing Accounts

The CPUC requires that water utilities track certain expenses in “balancing accounts.” Balancing account expenses include electricity rates, purchased water costs, and pump taxes.

Once per year, the CPUC and the water utility will review the balancing accounts to determine whether these costs were higher or lower than forecasted in the utility’s previous rate case filing. If the costs are higher, the CPUC authorizes a surcharge on customers’ bills; if the costs are lower, the CPUC authorizes a credit to customers’ bills.

The purpose of balancing accounts is to protect both utilities and customers from unforeseeable — and uncontrollable — changes in costs, and to ensure that rates accurately reflect the cost of providing water service.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

We have a low flush flush toilet in the upstairs bathroom and I don't like it and I wonder how much it really saves. I have to clean that toilet daily and there is only 2 of us. I have a composting toilet in the first floor powder room which is basically a bucket with a toilet seat on a framed in cabinet. It uses no water and if you use it properly there is no smell and it only needs to be disposed of once a month in our house. 

As I posted earlier, we received the latest iteration, which is a far cry from the previous and older water-saving toilets. I can certainly attest to that now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not all low flush toilets are the same.  I have a Toto Guinevere.  It takes 1.2 gallon to flush, compared to 1.6.   It is so fast, powerful and quiet.  It is unbelievable. Plus  it is a beautiful piece of furniture.  Lol!  No kiddin'!   There are no bolts, just a smooth finish all the way around. And the inside finish is amazing.  They are expensive, but omg so worth it.  And mine is made in USA, although it is a Japanese brand.  I think they have a factory in one of the Carolinas.