Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: Free toilets in California!

With regard to these new low-flow toilets, here is the info on the Cal Water site that to which I had linked:

Cal Water is offering a bathroom fixture replacement program to eligible customers in select service areas who have toilets that use 1.6 gallons or more per flush. The program is available at no charge to eligible customers.

The package includes:

• A high-efficiency WaterSense-labeled toilet, including seat
  • Installation by a qualified professional
  • Removal and disposal of your old fixtures

Why use a WaterSense-labeled toilet? Recent advancements have allowed toilets to use 20 percent less water than the current federal standard, while still providing equal or superior performance. The WaterSense label is used on toilets that are certified by independent laboratory testing to meet rigorous criteria for performance and efficiency. Unlike some first-generation “low-flow” toilets, WaterSense-labeled toilets save water with no trade-off in flushing power, and many of them perform better than standard toilets in consumer testing. Only high-efficiency toilets that complete the third-party certification process can earn the WaterSense label.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I shouldn't be surprised at the negativity about this creative, worthy project, but I am.

It's a brilliant use of tax money to encourage water conservation. I guess there always has to be a few Eyores among all the Poohs.   😀

It must be nice to live where there is plenty of water.  For those of us who have grown up conserving water, and know what it is like to pay huge amounts of money to have water service, I cannot see why this toilet swap should get any negative reactions.  For those thinking that the toilets are not "free", I think they absolutely can be. 

My mom was able to get a new refrigerator, microwave and light fixtures from PG&E, free, due to a grant.  They were doing energy audits and seniors were eligible for replacements on high energy appliances, etc.  Installation was included.  I can't wait to tell her about the toilet replacement program.  It may not be done here in our area, but it is worth checking out.  

Esteemed Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I shouldn't be surprised at the negativity about this creative, worthy project, but I am.

It's a brilliant use of tax money to encourage water conservation. I guess there always has to be a few Eyores among all the Poohs.   😀

It must be nice to live where there is plenty of water.  For those of us who have grown up conserving water, and know what it is like to pay huge amounts of money to have water service, I cannot see why this toilet swap should get any negative reactions.  For those thinking that the toilets are not "free", I think they absolutely can be. 

My mom was able to get a new refrigerator, microwave and light fixtures from PG&E, free, due to a grant.  They were doing energy audits and seniors were eligible for replacements on high energy appliances, etc.  Installation was included.  I can't wait to tell her about the toilet replacement program.  It may not be done here in our area, but it is worth checking out.  

@GraceLady 

Those complaining that the toilets aren't free, is just their not so subtle way of throwing shade at California.

They take every opportunity to hate on California.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

The fact is that the manufactures of these toliets, refrigerators, microwaves etc. did not just donate these items to the program, they were paid.  The funds to pay the manufactures had to come from somewhere..  Could be higher rates for everyone, federal or state grants (taxes), somehow people are paying for these items.  Just because one person may get something for "free" means someone else is paying for it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

The fact is that the manufactures of these toliets, refrigerators, mictowaves etc. did not just donate these items to the program, they were paid.  The funds to pay the manufactures had to come from somewhere..  Could be higher rates for everyone, federal or state grants (taxes), somehow people are paying for these items.  Just because one person may get something for "free" means someone else is paying for it.

So?

Why is this such a problem?

Isn't saving water a good thing?

Or or you just taking an opportunity to take a swipe at California?

Oh, and there's no such thing as "free" shipping either. 

Afterall, that cost has to be absorbed by someone, somewhere, right?

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

The fact is that the manufactures of these toliets, refrigerators, mictowaves etc. did not just donate these items to the program, they were paid.  The funds to pay the manufactures had to come from somewhere..  Could be higher rates for everyone, federal or state grants (taxes), somehow people are paying for these items.  Just because one person may get something for "free" means someone else is paying for it.

So?

What is your problem.  I said nothing about CA, get a grip. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

So?

Ahhh, but it's in California where this program is taking place.

And my grip is just fine, thank-you very much for your concern.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Those complaining that the toilets aren't free, is just their not so subtle way of throwing shade at California.

They take every opportunity to hate on California.

791ECEFE-EEAB-431B-B767-643158E39204.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

So?

Utility companies all over the country have various programs from time to time, so it is just not CA.  And non of them are totally free.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

So?

Utility companies all over the country have various programs from time to time, so it is just not CA.  And non of them are totally free.

And, again, I ask, so? 

Do you have a problem with saving water?