Super Contributor

Re: Attn: Free toilets in California!

Why not just place a brick in the toilet tank?

That's what we did in CA during the 1970's drought.

Worked then.

Super Contributor

'   Free  '= someone else paying for it.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD @ciao_bella 

Thanks for circling back.

I think I had traumatic toilet flashbacks when I wrote my post!

I grew up on a farm, where water pressure’s going to be low.

Then @Maestra1 brings up exactly what my dad did...

brick in the already-low-flush toilet.

Heavens! 

And Dad would dog-cuss us kids for flushing twice.

Now that I’m grown up, I want water pressure which

can strip off my skin in the shower & flush everything

into next year...! Ha🙃

Esteemed Contributor

Most programs such as these have limited number of items available.  It is good that those who cannot afford replacements are being offered units.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I've never heard of a program like this & wondering if it's need based...it seems strange that anyone gets free toilets if they could pay for them. Are they only replacing toilets that are old & don't save water? Free is never free, the money for the program has to come from somewhere, do you know where? Anyway, it's interesting.

@kitcat51   Yes, good question is it. need based.  Also, where I live water and utility rates are set based on "need" demonstrated by utilities and water rates by city governments and water coops, etc.

So although not technically a tax dollar, if a utility company has a program like that here, they have to fund it some way.  Therefore, the rate hike to increase revenue to cover the program would be instituted and everybody using the utility would have their rates raised to cover the cost of the "free" toilets.

When you get something "free" from your city, utility company or utility coop, YOU pay for it.  They decide what you get and what you pay.  That's the difference.  Toilets don't just fall free from the sky to your bathroom.  Money changes hands along the way somehow. 

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

So your private water company is absorbing the cost of all those new toilets! That's pretty hard to believe! Honestly, I don't care - it's your taxes! I don't live in California.

Yes, it's their taxes.  However, at least California is doing "something" to conserve water in a state that truly needs it.  If the cost is laid out now and not after a disaster, it's money well spent.  

And next they will address the folks using public streets as a toilet.

Honored Contributor

fortunately we still have ONE toilet in our home that is the "old fashioned" kind. we have kept it because it works well, is a mauve color that is tough to find, and it has the normal flush. the only bad thing about it is that it is a lower style. that toilet is over 50 years old!

one of our other toilets is in a basement and requires an up flush system.

the other three toilets are all higher style toilets......which i LOVE. i dont really love the less water feature though. yes, double flushes are sometimes necessary.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I think it is great and if it conserves water I am all for it.  Being an environmentalist I am behind any plans which give us clean air and water,  no pollution of course and anything which adds to us having good health and  well being.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Seriously, if your water company is California Water Service, they are offering to replace your toilets FREE of cost. We checked it out on their website. I found a picture of them on Home Depot (see below). They are $164 each.

The installer came out on time, were very pleasant, and replaced our three toilets in about 30 minutes. They took the old ones. There was absolutely no charge.

@suzyQ3   No charge?  OH YEAH, you paid for it!  One way or another you paid and probaby paid for several other people's as well.  

How so, @Sooner ?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45   My bathroom upstairs which is the one I use (DH's is full bath down) is very old too - Dresden blue from the 50's. My original tank cracked in half a couple of years ago. You can imagine my total freak out thinking I'd never find the perfect color replacement. If you love your maroon like I love my Dresden blue, you understand.

Well low and behold to another freak out, of course who else but amazon.com has a site by a group who does nothing but those 4 retro colors, blue pink, yellow & green. For about $240 or so I have a perfectly matched in color up to date brand new toilet.

I have seen your color bath, love it too.