Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: Free toilets in California!

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

So who is paying for all those new toilets being installed in your state? You - the taxpayer! Nothing is free!

shoekitty said

well arent you full of cheer.

we had a program years ago that rebated you the amount of a toilet.  it was done by a grant. lots of generous donors here in California saves water in the long run.   

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft 

thank you

Occasional Contributor

Darn, we dont have that water company! Would of been nice to get a free toilet.

formally hsawaknow member since 2011 and 4000 posts
Honored Contributor

I believe this program has been in place for about four years. It’s not new. Considering the severe drought that California has had in recent years, it’s a very good program and has the potential to save alot of water.
Respected Contributor

I've never heard of a program like this & wondering if it's need based...it seems strange that anyone gets free toilets if they could pay for them. Are they only replacing toilets that are old & don't save water? Free is never free, the money for the program has to come from somewhere, do you know where? Anyway, it's interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

That's a great thing.

We replaced ours a few years ago.  From 6GPF (gallons per flush) to 1.6.  Huge difference, and they work just fine.  It's in the engineering - seriously.  Ours are Toto "Promenade".  That's all water that has to be re-claimed and processed (savings in the long run), and it is not an infinite resource.

They are taller models, too - easier for us to use.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

That's nice!  We replaced our three toilets over the last year with a very similar looking one that's a water saver with a top button flush.  However we had to pay for each one.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I had a "riser" put on my toilet after I had knee replacement surgery, as recommended, and never took it off.

I’m not a tall person, but all of our toilets are the higher height.  I occasionally go to someone’s home where they have the old style, low toilets, and feel like I’m sitting very close to the floor.  

@september   So true!  It's easy to get used to the higher ones.  All of our replacements are the taller kind.  It feels weird to use one of the old lower ones.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

High-Efficiency Toilets:

Half the water but Twice the flush.

Result - Same-Same

@sidsmom   I respectfully disagree with your statement.  I have American Standard Champion Pro toilets (3 of them) that are high efficiency using 1.28gpf and they never require two flushes.   Prior to installing these toilets, I had toilets that used far more water and would get clogged and required more than one flush.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   Sorry but I disagree. We have replaced both of our toilets with these high efficient ones.

The tanks are much smaller hence holding much less water. The flush is so powerful everyting is removed at hyper force, nothing left 'behind'.