Respected Contributor

@tessam wrote:

divisiveness will be our downfall as a nation

@tessam It already is.

Respected Contributor

I live in a Summer tourist area. At first people were asked  in the media to wait before they came North to their cabins and summer homes not knowing what to expect with a small hospital etc.

Many took it as an invitation to go to the cabin and work at home. One even came here to recover from Covid .  Then the issue of the fact they are taxpayers and you can not tell me to stay home as Letters to the Editors came out. The local store clerks could tell who was not a resident as well as the licence plates. They were disgusted as Essential and out there.

Some people were thoughtful but even my next door neighbors rolled in the last week of April just like usual from Florida.. No staying at home as in and out of the driveway as usual. Most of us  locals shopped one to two weeks and stayed home.

Luckily our numbers are low. nine ,but who knows what could have happened?  One was a nurse who volunteered in Brookyln. Some snowbirds  did quarantine but many did business as usual. They just could not wait, as all about me. Just not enforceable.

Honored Contributor

What are the states that are in trouble?  I know of Florida and Texas.  What are the others?

Valued Contributor

The resurgence is concentrated largely in the South and West. Florida, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas reported their highest single-day totals on Wednesday, but case numbers have been rising in 29 states.

@songbird wrote:

What are the states that are in trouble?  I know of Florida and Texas.  What are the others?

Esteemed Contributor

Our numbers in SC are steadily rising and there are a few "hot" spots. People are coming here and then getting sick when they go home with Covid. Not a good place to be especially with July 4 coming up and Bike Week.

Not many wear masks or social distance. It's like a free for all.

Honored Contributor

What is troubling is that these spikes are including more and more younger people.  One in his 20's is on a ventilator.

I know Houston was hit very hard early on and is a very hot spot.

I go out when I need to, I mask, distance, sanitize, wash hands, etc.

I can do no more regardless of mandates or no mandates.  It doesn't matter to me.  I will continue to do what I can regardless if restrictions are lifted or not.

I think people are being pulled in too many directions; and there obviously people who don't even know much about what to do.  Mind sets are all over the place and it does not surprise me that people are starting to ignore warnings.

I feel so badly for the deaths and I feel so badly for those who recovered but will now have long term issues with their lungs.

All we can do is do our best.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor
@Patzb ~ thanks for the heads up. I live down in Pinal County. I like Show Low. I have seriously thought of buying a summer home there but if that's what full time residents think, Heber/Overgaard or Payson might be more welcoming. My money will be welcomed anywhere. I'd welcome you to the East Valley when you get snow.
Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Last I heard, the European Union is considering banning all visitors from the U.S.  Loss of tourist dollars, to be sure, but

they are alarmed at what is happening in our country.  I am, too.  I know all we went through in our little state.  We worked very hard and made many sacrifices here.  Our numbers are way down, but we lost over 4,000 souls in the process.  

The EU continues to have its own Covid problems.  Not sure why any American "who worked hard and made many scarifices here" would even want to risk traveling there for the foreseeable future.

@vsm, I believe you have misconstrued my message.  It was a simple statement of fact.  I have absolutely no plans to travel outside the country, and I know you will be relieved about that.  Italy will be there waiting for us, maybe next year.

Italy's on my list, too, @PamfromCT -- if you get there before I do, I hope your trip is a safe and happy one!