Honored Contributor

Re: Attention Denizens of Arizona

@SilleeMee wrote:

Speaking of the heat...I'm not looking forward to opening my next electric bill!

@SilleeMee    That's what I love about my swamp cooler.  The only operating costs are a small fan, pump and some water, maybe $30/mo.  It was 105° here today but it was 70° in my house. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Ladygray 

I live here too and am originally from the Midwest.  I'd still rather have a hot summer than deal with snow and ice during the winter.  I keep the temp at 81 during the day, 80 at night.  Thank goodness for ceiling fans to keep the air moving.  I like your idea of counting down on the calendar.  Stay cool and safe!  

Respected Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

@Ladygray 

I live here too and am originally from the Midwest.  I'd still rather have a hot summer than deal with snow and ice during the winter.  I keep the temp at 81 during the day, 80 at night.  Thank goodness for ceiling fans to keep the air moving.  I like your idea of counting down on the calendar.  Stay cool and safe!  

———————

We’re living quite comfortably between 81 and 82° unless doing something really active. Based on prior discussions here about thermostat settings, most people would think we’re crazy. But when you compare indoor to outdoor temps it makes more sense. Plus DH has medical issues that keep him on the cool side.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@nonnied    What do the temps look like this week in Tucson? 

Seven-Day Forecast

Frequent Contributor

Yes its hot here in Glendale, AZ. Remember the year we hit 122? They had to ground airliners at Sky Harbour because their tires could melt on the runways. My husband was still flying F15Es at Luke AFB. Military jets rated for higher temps. Now in 2021 with possibly 118 temps we have our grandson's All Stars Little League Game to attend this Wednesday.. And our son is a firefighter currently fighting the Telegraph Fire. Its going to be a bad year for Wildfires.
Trusted Contributor

I can't even begin to imagine that kind of heat. We rarely hit the upper 90's or 100's here,luckily.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I look at your daily temperatures and feel so sorry for you.  How do you survive at 118°?  I've never been to a place where it's that hot.  We're experiencing a chilly 102° today in my neighborhood.  The smoke from your and our fires have visability down so low I can barely see our mountains. 

More bad news... I read a report yesterday that the monsoon is likely to be a bust which means no cooling rains.

The reservoir which irrigates the Hatch chile crop is so low its expected to be at 1% capacity by summer's end, a mere mud puddle.  There was no water to sprout chile seedlings so they had to start the plants in greenhouses for the first time in years (maybe ever).

So much for the weather outlook.   This week in Phoenix.

Screenshot_20210614-090008_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, but we have no humidity so it is actually more comfortable than Ohio in the summer at 85 with humidity. The monsoon would help though. It usually drops the temperature about 20 degrees. Here's hoping. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi    You're going to be very close this week to busting the record. 

That is why I went to the store last week and stocked up on ice cream bars. I am just staying in after 7:00am and watching reruns of "The West Wing". Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

HAVING A POOL OR EASY ACCESS TO ONE IS HELPFUL. I AM FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE MY OWN POOL AND ENJOY COOLING OFF THAT WAY.  ALSO, THE MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES ARE ABOUT 20 DEGREES COOLER IN THE DAYTIME AND GO DOWN INTO THE 50-60'S AT NIGHT.  MANY PEOPLE OWN CABINS, I RECALL A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO IT WAS ABOUT 115 IN THE VALLEY AND AT OUR CABIN IN OVERGAARD IT WAS COLD AND RAINY. I HAD MY WINTER COAT ON. I FORGOT TO ADD THAT WAS FOURTH OF JULY.  SAN DIEGO IS ONLY ABOUT A 6 HOUR DRIVE AS WELL.   I WILL HAPPILY THE HEAT OVER FREEZING COLD.  I LOVE AZ.

A FEW OF US LADIES ARE GETTING TOGETHER THIS WEEK FOR A POOL SIDE LUNCH AND MARGARITAS. MORE LIKE EATING LUNCH IN THE POOL. LOL  AMAZING HOW COOL YOU FEEL INSIDE OF THE POOL!  MUST WEAR SUN SCREEN.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Speaking of the heat...I'm not looking forward to opening my next electric bill!

@SilleeMee    That's what I love about my swamp cooler.  The only operating costs are a small fan, pump and some water, maybe $30/mo.  It was 105° here today but it was 70° in my house. 

@Kachina624 

I've lived in houses with swamp coolers in the past and it was great. I keep thinking maybe I should get one in my house soon. Climate seems to not be getting any cooler.Woman Tongue