Honored Contributor

Re: Attention Denizens of Arizona

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi    There will be deaths in the desert of Mexicans trying to enter the US.  I always think of them when high temps are mentioned.  We had a young man die last week hiking in the Sandías. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

They treat summer there like we in the Midwest treat winter.  Just stay indoors amap Smiley Happy

@Patriot3    Yeah.....we use potholders instead of mittens...!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

A close relative turns off the hot water heater when it gets this hot in Maricopa Cnty.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Thanks for your concern 🙂. Tucson is usually a little cooler than Phoenix, but I just checked and we’re supposed to be 113 today. This time of year I just don’t look at the weather report. I was really concerned this morning because I thought I saw smoke in the Catalinas. So I googled and found out that some wood from clearing,etc. was being burned and we might see smoke.

I feel so badly for people that work outdoors, even though they start early in the morning. We’re having our small patio roof repaired tomorrow and I’m putting out a cooler with water and Gatorade. All that being said, I wouldn’t  trade this for a cold climate. I remember being cold at home, not knowing if your car was going to start or if you would make it to/from work in the snow. No thank you 😊.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

I just cannot imagine living any place where the temps get that high.

I'm in Maryland, and we get in the high 90s and break 100, but it is very humid.   It might last a few days or a week, but rarely longer than that.

It's miserable either way, but routinely going above 100 would make me want to live elsewhere.

Many years ago, we went to Vegas in June for a friend's 50th birthday party.  Everyone reminded me it was a "dry heat" but it felt like opening an oven and putting your face close to the door.  What a blast furnace must feel like.

My skin and nasal passages took a month to get back to normal.

Just knowing it gets this hot somewhere makes me anxious and worried about the people and animals that must endure.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   I just went into the back yard to get a flower pot and "oven" was exactly the feeling I got.  Alexa said it was 91° but it feels hotter.  I hurried back inside. 

Believe it or not, your skin and mucous membranes adjust to the dryness but it takes a couple of months.  The altitude in Albuquerque where I live, is a harder adjustment. 

At least we don't have to shovel snow so I guess it's a trade off. 

Esteemed Contributor

N.E. Arizona here; we will be 96 degrees at 6500 ft.  Got an above ground pool in backyard for the Grands and everything is air conditioned.  I used to live in Mojave desert and those temps matched Phoenix.  I used to cluster errands before 10 am or after 6 pm and wash my car after dark ( had a good overhead spotlight.  Hoover Dam is at all time low; expect unprecedented water conservation efforts next year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's suppose to get close to 100' here in Colorado Springs tomorrow and the day after that. That might be two more records broken again. Seems records are breaking more often these days, especially the hot ones. I despise the heat in summer, I really do.

Respected Contributor

Every area of the country has some type of weather that brings challenges.

In our DC metro area the humidity is awful through the summer.  It just about does me in when I am outside for any length of time and breathing is difficult.

For anyone living in these terribly high temps, how do the school and professional sports teams practice and play? 

Stay safe and cool!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@patbz    Are the grandsons spending the summer with you again?  Any great adventures planned?  Will you be traveling in the fall/winter?