Honored Contributor

Re: Attention Denizens of Arizona

@lovesrecess   You'll be happy to know that extremes are now in Albuquerque so you're not missing anything.  I checked at 4:30pm and it was 105°.  As with Phoenix, it gets hotter and drier every year.  We also have smoke advisory due to fires in NM and AZ.  People are being told to stay inside. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Speaking of the heat...I'm not looking forward to opening my next electric bill!

Respected Contributor

I go for my daily walks at 5am, run errands early in the morning, and spend the rest of the day indoors. 

The body does adapt to the heat.

We were in Chicago in early May, and I was shivering when the nightly temps were in the 50's. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I really miss the weather in Albuquerque! Lived there five years and don’t recall any weather extremes..never unbearably hot or cold...some snow but not enough to slow you down. Summers were easier than in Phoenix...way too hot there. Just looked outside and saw a squirrel trying to find water. The big water bowl I keep outside was completely empty and I filled it up last night!

I've been there.  My sister lives in a town called Belen.  I liked New Mexico a lot!  The Cyotes did scare me, the first time I heard them.  The weather is at all like Phoenix.  Not as extreme.  I've been in one other big city, Santa Fe (which is gorgeous!!)  I've also been to Corrales & Taos.

Honored Contributor

I hope everyone can keep water outside foe the animals.

thank you

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

@Kachina624 

I think of our gorgeous winter temps and that gets me through.  

@Catty2 

I live in Phoenix and I actually have a calendar where I count down the days until Oct.   For some reason, seeing each day go by helps me to think of fall.   Hey today, it's only 108 days til Oct 1.   LOL!   When it gets down to less than 70, I'll be happier.

Today it's cloudy but it's still a furnace outside. I have to take early morning walks and it's still hot. I bought the O2 Cool little fan misters here at the Q and they do help just to keep me from getting too hot.   I grew up in the Midwest and winters can be brutal.   I would rather have the dry heat than the humidity and 80 degrees. 

I live for the fall/winter and spring here.   I will never get used to summer.  If I was rich and didn't have to work, I'd live here in the winter and somewhere else in the summer (in the mountains). 

My thermostat is set at 77, but it goes up to 79 during the hottest time of the day which is usually 4pm - 8pm.   I have fans blowing in every room.  

Went to get my mail and I was miserable.  Saw my 90 year old neighbor walking with no water.   He's a fool.   I see people all the time walking without water.  I couldn't survive at all without being hydrated.

Everyone take care and be safe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

Arizona is currently the 3rd fastest warming state.  The other two are Alaska and New Mexico. I once spent a summer in Phoenix.  So I know about the heat.  Phoenix sits in a crater.  Every time you are in low ground level, it gets very warm.  (Heat rises) L.A. also sits on a crater.   The summer I was there, it made it up to106F. The record is 123F (Supposedly).  Everything is air conditioned.  Everything.  You leave your air condition house, in your air condition car to your air condition office. Mornings might be the only time you will be able to get things done outdoors.  Not all of Arizona is as hot.  Flagstaff is the place I would love to live, just for the weather alone. But it's extremely expensive to live there. The weather there a lot cooler then Phoenix.  In Phoenix,  I was warned about not touching door knobs.  You could get burned.  I personally think that if global warming does happen the way it could...no one would be able to live in Phoenix anymore.  At least not in the summer.

Well, then you might want to tell the builders to please knock it off. I live in Phoenix, and the building of new housing seems neverending. It's one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and people are moving here in droves.

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@Ladygray Don’t you love the summer solstice? I get excited when the days start to get shorter. And it’s coming soon!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I hope everyone can keep water outside foe the animals.

thank you

@Drythe 

I am changing my hummingbird water several x's a day..it's next to shade but the water is still "boiling" inside..folks in my area are excellent about there animals..Smiley Wink

We have so many out of state folks that have moved to the Phx area, they just don't understand how damaging this intense heat can be...I always tell Mom's be sure to cover the car seats with a towel when you head in the stores, they just showed a little boy on the news with a giant burn from the seat belt buckle..Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

@Ladygray Don’t you love the summer solstice? I get excited when the days start to get shorter. And it’s coming soon!

Hi @tucsongal 

Yes!   Don't laugh, but I also count down till then too.  LOL.   It is coming soon, about late July.  Mid-August, it's a real difference with sunset around 7pm and sunrise around 6am!    I don't like it now as it stays light until close to 8pm.  Ugh!    I swear, it just starts "cooling" off and dark and then the sun is up again at 5:15.  

We have to keep holding out for those signs of fall.  We definitely think alike!