Honored Contributor

Attention Denizens of Arizona

[ Edited ]

I look at your daily temperatures and feel so sorry for you.  How do you survive at 118°?  I've never been to a place where it's that hot.  We're experiencing a chilly 102° today in my neighborhood.  The smoke from your and our fires have visability down so low I can barely see our mountains. 

More bad news... I read a report yesterday that the monsoon is likely to be a bust which means no cooling rains.

The reservoir which irrigates the Hatch chile crop is so low its expected to be at 1% capacity by summer's end, a mere mud puddle.  There was no water to sprout chile seedlings so they had to start the plants in greenhouses for the first time in years (maybe ever).

So much for the weather outlook.   This week in Phoenix.

Screenshot_20210614-090008_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Attention Denizens of Arizona

[ Edited ]

We stay inside as much as possible, run errands in the morning and for the most part we adapt much like the people who live where it gets below 0 often. Everything and everyplace has air conditioning, we wear as few clothes as to not get arrested. Drink plenty of water. In general, we adapt and get through it. Monsoons for the past few years have been a bust. All they bring is dust and humidity, there really isn't much cooling in them except for a short time. Usually they come in from the east valley and peter out before they get to the west valley where I live. 

Honored Contributor

When I lived in Phenoix and the temps would get 100 to 120 degree's you just dont go outside and if you do its just for a few minutes, such as from house to car to store.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

The "record" is 123° in June, 2016

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

They treat summer there like we in the Midwest treat winter.  Just stay indoors amap Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi    You're going to be very close this week to busting the record. 

Contributor

Well said!  I am in Tucson.

Honored Contributor

@nonnied    What do the temps look like this week in Tucson? 

Super Contributor

Meowingkitty, I am also in the West Valley.  I can arrange very early morning visits to the store if needed but its much harder to struggle to put protective boots on my dog when she needs to go out.  I still see people walking their dogs without any protection from the hot pavement.  I think its sad children can't go out to play during this time of summer vacation.  I have long thought that our school time should be the summer because kids are inside anyway and our winter should be their "summer" vacation.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi    You're going to be very close this week to busting the record. 

@Kachina624    Yup......the local weatherman said the "118°" is only an estimate......and we could very well break ANOTHER record.  (And I suppose the fire department will be picking hikers off the mountains, too.)  Ugh.  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥