Respected Contributor

NO  does she think there are going to be some life insurance policies or long last bank accounts found somewhere with her name on them.

I guess no one can stop her from attending unless the services are private

Trusted Contributor

Is this the appropriate time for your sister to be disreputable to the ex's family? They are in mourning. 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely not!

I was in a similar circumstance, although we did have a 2 year old child when he left for another woman (and there were many after her) and he had NO contact with DD for the rest of his life by choice, to avoid child support.

We had no animosity with his family at all, they disowned HIM for abandoning his only child and stood by us.

DD was in her 30's when we were notified of his death and when I asked her if she wanted to go to his funeral or anything, she replied, "Why would I want to go to a funeral for a complete stranger?"

I had my answer and we didn't go or acknowledge his death in any way.

Since his family had disowned him and DD didn't want to attend any type of service, they chose not to have any service at all, they just cremated him and disposed of his ashes.

He got his just reward.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor
I'm with Sheila P cause you know the family is gonna think that your sister is being disrespectful .
What purpose would it serve?
Go earlier in the day if she feels she has to but you can say your goodbyes if that's what it's about, ,anywhere .You don't need a funeral for that
Honored Contributor

Your sister needs to stay away.  Why on earth would she want to go where she knows she will not be welcome?

She is putting the people she has ask to go with her in a very uncomfortable position.  Thank goodness they had the brains to say no.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

If she wants to go, she should go. 

Trusted Contributor

It is not for me to say whether she should go or not.  If she wants to go, I do not see the need for anyone to go with her.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess  Regardless of the perspectives stated her, I continue to think that if she wants to go, she ought to pursue it in some fashion. Regardless of her reasons for wanting to go, she clearly feels motivated to attend. Children or no children is not the issue. Perhaps one thing to consider is for her to call any member of his family she assesses will be among the least put out by her call. Express her condolences, tell them she'd like to attend to pay her respects but doesn't want to upset others and see what they think. If they suggest she would probably not be welcome then she then knows that up front and will perhaps rethink the situation.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess @Your sister is a remarkable woman for wanting to attend her ex husband's funeral. I don't know if I would, having cheated on me and all. I think she should go if she wants, if it were me I would sit in the back. If the family is smart, the funeral is not the time to make a scene, one would hope they would be on their best behavior. I don't understand why the family would have a problem with your sister, she seems to be the injured party.

Respected Contributor

No. They don’t want her there and they are mourning.