Trusted Contributor

Why not just go put flowers on the grave and spend a little time with him at the cemetery?

Regular Contributor

In my opinion, no she shouldn't go.

Maybe if they had had chicken together it would be a different story.

Clearly his family doesn't want to see her. To me it would seem like in intrusion on their privacy.

Maybe she could just stop by a church and maybe light a candle and say a prayer for him? ( if she feels she has to do something)

Esteemed Contributor

@likeitis i am guessing that you meant children, not chicken, right? i literally laughed out loud as i was trying to figure out how chicken would impact relations! haha! you just made my evening. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@lovesrecess Why on Earth would she want to go?  Parted on bad terms, his family did not care for her, she has no children to take to funeral, he cheated on her.  It's not like he just died and she wanted to say a final good bye.  Sounds like she wants to show his family and woman he cheated with that she had final  laugh by out living him.  After the way he and his family treated her, I would not want to be within a 100 miles of any of them.  

Regular Contributor

oh my goodness  😞 

I can't believe that it posted "chicken "....well, I do apologize. Obviously a mistake.

Have to admit that I got a few giggles from that one...I'm still laughing.

Ty for bringing that to my attention...glad I could make you laugh 😂 too.

Goodnight to all.

Honored Contributor

out of respect for HIS family and since they do not have children and since she has no relationship with the partner he was with, she should absolutely skip the funeral.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

My sister just found out her ex has passed away. The funeral is in three days and it is in the same town where she lives. She wants to attend the funeral....but his family has been hostile towards her since the divorce 14 yrs ago. It was not an amicable divorce. He was cheating on her and was still living with the woman when he died. No children that she knows of but not sure. My sister had no children with her ex. I cannot attend the funeral with her due to some adjunct work I am doing, so she would have to go alone.  Do you think she should go? She has asked a couple of friends and so far, no takers. I can't figure out why she would even want to go, knowing how his family has treated her over the years.

@lovesrecess   There's her answer.

If she cannot attend alone, then she knows the situation does not require her attendance.

Her presence would be disturbing at the very least; regardless of his treatment of your sister this person still has family and another woman who apparently cared for him.

With no children with this man, the connection to him ended 14 years ago; even longer since he was unfaithful.

She will have to make her own decision and accept whatever consequences happen if she does attend.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@SurferWife Your case is different n that your ex's familly still welcomed you. The friend's family is hostile and doesn't like her.

But it's great that you had the support of your DH. Very classy!

@Love my grandkids 

Yes, I realize that my case was different.  I should have stated that before I told my story.  Reading her story just brought back memories...😪

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Don't think it matters what "we" think.  Seems like she has her mind set on going for whatever her reason she has.  

Honored Contributor

Doesn't seem like it's a good idea.  I don't think she has any business going.  It could cause a scene with the family and the girl friend or make them feel uncomfortable.  If she divorced last year, that would be different.  He's from the past, leave him there.