Honored Contributor

Re: At what point do you cancel a get-together?

Well, since it's only handful of people and since the majority can't attend, cancel whenever you want to cancel.  You never have a big crowd, I'd go ahead and plan a lovely luncheon for  the 2 or 3 who can attend. 

Honored Contributor

Such good advice, thank you.

I should have mentioned that two of those who can't attend are my two closest friends and it wouldn't be the same without them.

I spoke with one of the women and we decided to cancel - those of us who are free will meet at a restaurant for lunch.  It may not be the perfect solution, but my heart wasn't in all the fuss and preparations, and it's probably best that I don't try to fake it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I should have mentioned that two of those who can't attend are my two closest friends and it wouldn't be the same without them.

I spoke with one of the women and we decided to cancel - those of us who are free will meet at a restaurant for lunch.  It may not be the perfect solution, but my heart wasn't in all the fuss and preparations, and it's probably best that I don't try to fake it.

It sounds like the perfect solution to me.  You've done it for a while now and you don't want to do it anymore.  That's perfectly ok, you don't need to justify yourself.  There's no reason why the group can't switch things up.  Go to a restaurant or perhaps somone else might like to host next year.  Perhaps, you could rotate.  I have a yearly lunch with a group of 8-10 former co-workers and we always meet at a restaurant.  We take turns choosing the restaurant. 

Honored Contributor

Lunch out with the couple that can come sounds like a good solution. 

Honored Contributor

I'd probably go ahead with this year and discuss with those who can come how they'd feel about making this year's lunch the last one -  and I'd do a more casual menu than usual.

Honored Contributor

Since the meeting is primarily related to discussions involving the school year, I'd cancel the meeting.  If the 'get together' is mostly for fun, I'd have lunch with the two or three who will be able to attend.  (If a few ideas and suggestions regarding the school year are discussed at your lunch get-together, I'd send out a summary of whatever you have discussed.  Hope that makes a bit of sense, lol.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It makes sense to me to just cancel this year. It is intended to be a social event, but also a bit of a work related thing, and if only a few can attend, it seems there would be no benefit to the 'work' aspect of the get together.

If the same thing happens next year, I'd say some others many no longer be finding value in the time spent and it may be time to abandon the event entirely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read O/P's update.  Good decision to cancel, imo.   In general: Way too much work, and so much easier and more enjoyable to meet for lunch.  In fact, in the future, I'd probably reserve a small side room at a local restaurant, and have the 'meetings' there, if and when all of the group could attend.   My guess, though, is that the majority of this group possibly isn't interested in attending these yearly get-togethers.  I could be wrong, though. Maybe it's just a coincidence that all are unable to attend on any one specific day.  Regardless, enjoy your school year, no matter what, who, where, when.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was what I was going to suggest @house_cat. Wishing you all a good year!

Honored Contributor

I agree with GMK and Momo....when people start not being able to be available, I would kindly cancel and let them know that you would love to do it in the future letting them  suggest the date.  I say this because perhaps the "work" talk may not be as appreciated  as a little more vacation time.  But then I am always very sensitive to another's personal time.  However, it sounds as if you have reached a solution that pleases you so have a great time!