Honored Contributor

Re: At what length do you stop (or never start) reading discussions here?

I don't read memes and lengthy quotes.  

I never click on links.  

If I see a looooong paragraph, I'll check the first sentence or two and if it's of interest, I might quickly scan the paragraph. I never read a long paragraph.  

I rarely look at pages and pages of posts.

Trusted Contributor

@Marp wrote:

How many posts per page do y'all have your preferences set to show?

I believe the default is 10 so at the time of this posting that would be 2 pages.  I have mine set to 25 posts per page so I'm still on page 1.

@Marp   I have mine set to 50 posts per page. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy  With long threads that are new to me I'll read the first page, maybe two, and then go to the end to see how far off the rails it has gone.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't open the complaints about Christmas in July.
Really, what more is there to whine about? You don't like CIJ. I get it. Why start a new one, just attach your complaint to an existing gripe line.

At least most of those are labeled appropriately, so I won't even click.
Respected Contributor

I stopped reading threads about Lisa Robertson. Many posters seem to hate her and are allowed to deliberately write comments that cause those threads to be poofed. I just don’t want to waste my time.

I don’t care about the length of a thread. What I do watch are posters who ask for help with a personal problem, then never return to the thread themselves. If they do not come back after several responses, I ditch that thread. If they don’t care, neither do I.

People have so many ways of expressing themselves, I don’t usually mind if they write differently than I would. Right now there is one writing style here I find annoying, but I just skip reading anything by that poster.

Honored Contributor

I have several criteria for not reading further.  Over time, I've come to recognize the small number of posters who react to viewpoints they don't like by squabbling, mockery, and contempt-filled posts.  There's sometimes an escalating quality to their attacks, and several seem to cluster in almost what you could call a mob fashion, building on each others' attacks.

Luckily it's a very small number, but once they start in, the thread is lost to any civil discussion so further reading is futile.

Honored Contributor

I stop reading if it has posts the OP
Honored Contributor

My pet peeve is someone who asks for detailed advice about a particular health condition, making it seem imminent they receive a reply and they never bother to return and acknowledge anyone.

I also have stopped reading serial complainer threads. Other than that I try and get the basic gist of a thread before replying.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I have several criteria for not reading further.  Over time, I've come to recognize the small number of posters who react to viewpoints they don't like by squabbling, mockery, and contempt-filled posts.  There's sometimes an escalating quality to their attacks, and several seem to cluster in almost what you could call a mob fashion, building on each others' attacks.

Luckily it's a very small number, but once they start in, the thread is lost to any civil discussion so further reading is futile.

@Oznell, while no one should be disrespectful, I have seen people start threads that almost seem to be baiting in that they include a particular stance that is in some way biased and/or controversial. Some are very good at cloaking such intent.

The OPs of such threads should be mindful that it might take a combative turn.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I rarely read a post that is one long long long paragraph.  And if a person can't be bothered to paragraph, he/she usually has run-on sentences.