Honored Contributor

Re: At what age does forgetfulness set in ?

My memory has always been great.  I remember things that happened before my brother was born...we are 23 months apart, so I was less then two years old at the time.

I never keep notes or write anything.  I also can watch TV, read a book and talk on the phone at the same time.  I didn't realize that no one else could.

Don't ask me how I do this....I have no idea.  It's just a quirky thing about me.

I am 67.... trying to forget my real age.....

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My memory has always been great.  I remember things that happened before my brother was born...we are 23 months apart, so I was less then two years old at the time.

I never keep notes or write anything.  I also can watch TV, read a book and talk on the phone at the same time.  I didn't realize that no one else could.

Don't ask me how I do this....I have no idea.  It's just a quirky thing about me.

@Carmie 

You, I believe were born with something extra. Not sure the what or why, but it sounds like you are ok with it, and that's a good thing.

I on the other hand am glad I forget things. Lots of things in life that are not in my memory bank, for me that's a good thing.

Unlike you, I think there are way too many that think they are as gifted, only to find out the hard way, they are not. I managed to live many, many decades before I ever heard, or even knew, there was the word "multitasking".

Now it seems to be all around me in conversations. I am one that has to keep my focus on 1 thing, and even that, at times, is not easy.  

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Hi @Carmie - how did you do in school?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I forget. What's the question again?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Kinda off topic, but maybe not....

We had a contractor come over to give us and estimate the other day.  Never laid eyes on him before.

I said to my husband 'he reminds me of that guy' trying desperately trying to think of the name. 

Husband just looks at me blankly.

I said 'The guy in that group that went after that thing that didn't want you to....'

I couldn't think of the name of the group, couldn't remember the name of that thing, either.  UGH!

Husband cuts me off 'Metallica?  Yeah, don't think I ever knew the guy's name, but yeah, he does look like that guy'.

Hah!

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I'm 79, one of my friends s 82. 

A few weeks ago, after church we were standing there chatting about "current events" .... and spent half the time laughing because we kept forgettng the names of the people we were talking about.

Back in my 60s - my boss was the same age - more laughs.  Several times he'd come out of his office and ask me to watch where he leaves his glasses because he forgets where he leaves them!   Great guy to work for!

@ALRATIBA Oh my gosh you reminded me!  Once boss and I were talking about some guy and we couldn't remember his name, but we absolutely knew WHO we were talking about and where he worked, etc.  

That night it dawned on me it was someone else we should have been discussing.  I went in boss's office first thing next day and said "You know that guy we were talking about?  That's NOT the guy!"

And boss said "I KNOW!  I thought about that last night, we were talking about. . . "  And sad thing is we'd both figured out which guy we should have been talking about.  

THEN boss says "Do you remember his name?  I can't!"  "Nope I said, but now we're talking about the right guy" and neither of us knew his name but we could describe him and where HE worked!  And yes, it starts early.  Earlier in some of us!!!!!

Glad you brought back this funny memory!  We never did remember his name. . . Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Hi @Carmie - how did you do in school?

I did excellent.  I always really, really struggled with math, though....got more F's than I care to admit.

Funny thing is that now I am now proficient in math.  It took so long for me to get it, but when I finally did, it stuck.  

Honored Contributor

I'm 'only thinking' that, in general, because we don't have to memorize anything (directions, and just about everything else), our brains are 'at rest' most of the time.

That, combined with the stress of a bombardment of 'this and that' on the news, well........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds more like an obsession with Covid that is on your mind!

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I read online that it starts around 40. Well I'm some years past that so I guess that explains why I had a severe case of memory loss this morning. I went to the grocery store, came home, performed my usual routine of putting the clothes I wore into the laundry, sanitized my phone,and crossbody bag, threw my mask in the wash also, got dressed and started to fix my breakfast when it suddenly dawned on me that I left the groceries in the car !! 

Oh my goodness ! so I rush out to the car, got the groceries which included a pint of Halo Top ice cream ( thank goodness it hadn't melted) So I read online about a memory inhancement pill called Redimind that says over 95% of clinical study participants showed improved short term memory after taking the pill for 30 days.  Maybe I should look into that, anyone else dealing with funny moments of memory loss ? . Woman LOL

@Goodie2shoes 

Memory loss starts around seventeen. if not sooner. Woman LOL