Honored Contributor

Re: At what age do you think you no longer thought as a child, but as an adult?

[ Edited ]

At a certain point I realized that my life's best interests were in my own hands, my well-being was up to me, and I was all I had.

I was as much an adult that day as today, not as wise, but still...

@chickenbutt 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

For me it wasn't until my 20's when I finally moved out and got my first apartment, and was paying for everything on my own.  Prior to that I was still living home and had most everything done for me, I don't know how you can feel like an adult when you are in that kind of situation.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

@godi wrote:

My mother died when I was 9. I learned fast to adult. If I didn't I wouldn't have clean clothes of food to eat. I remember I was on a chair to reach the top of the pot boiling a pork roast. No internet then. I ruined it. I was so thrilled the first time I got Kraft macaroni and cheese right!  My dad never yelled, I could see he was very patient especially when I ruined food. He said I will make it when I get home but I always wanted to surprise him. ❤️

@godi  I lost my mom when I was 9, too. I was the oldest of 4 and had to learn how to do everything.  And like you, my dad never yelled either. He was calm and easygoing. He told me when I was an adult he didn’t know what he would have done without me. He knew I was taking care of things and could always be counted on. Makes me sad to reminisce...

Honored Contributor

It was definitely a process, but I had to grow up early in some aspects as my dad was very ill all my childhood, and I had to take on a lot of responsibility at an early age. I was born a bit of an 'old soul' anyway, and was always much more mature and responsible than most of the kids my age.

Part of it was just because that's who I was/am, and part because I felt I had to be. My mom needed the help and I didn't need to add to the family problems/stress by being/doing/experiencing the typical childhood growing pains and dramas and acting out.

By age 12 or so, I just saw what was needed of me, and I stepped into the role willingly. It's not like I didn't have a teenhood and experience much of the typical stuff, I just wasn't the same as the other kids, and I was ok with that. I never really wanted a lot of the experiences they were living (partying, concerts, dating early, girlfriend drama etc.) and didn't have time for it either. I think it made me a stronger person, and I think I have fewer regrets about those teen years than some people do, because I simply didn't get into a lot. 

My 20's.....well that's just another story, but at least I was older and more equipped to handle the issues I got myself into, than I would have been in my teens.