Respected Contributor

Re: At a wedding, do you prefer

Plated for sure. I wouldn't want guests carrying around full plates of food and trying to eat. Guests can mingle before and after dinner. As for bar, beer, wine and a cocktail is fine. No cash bar though. If you are inviting people to an event, the guests should not have to pay for dinner or drinks. If the expense is to much then reduce the guest list.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I prefer a wedding to just have cake, punch, and no meal whatsoever.  This added expense of feeding guests is just not necessary to me.  Add the money to their new life and home together.  I can eat at home.  Not opposed to a glass of champagne to toast the Bride and Groom at the reception but feeding me is just not what I need.

@beckyb1012 . I'm 64 and  have honeslty never beeen to a wedding reception with only cake and punch.  I can't imagine having guests travel for hours and not give them anything to eat.

Agree!!  How long does the reception last; twenty minutes?

Esteemed Contributor

Plated. No alchohol.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the idea of only having cake and punch. That's the way all weddings did it when I was a kid. I think that having dinner costs way too much! The point of the occassion should be the actual marriage, not a meal. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Plates or buffet is fine with me. I don't drink so the bar issue doesn't matter; sounds like more than enough drink choices.

Respected Contributor

I think that would be fine if all your guests are local. Our hometowns are hundreds of miles apart in opposite directions of where we live. I’m not asking people to come for an overnight and not giving them dinner.

We’re not going into debt or raiding our retirement accounts for a wedding. We can very well afford to do it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really don't care what wedding menu is like. I can't eat much of anything (all medical) and my husband (again all medical) can't eat much either. We just pick over what we can and can not eat.  

Buffets, am not crazy about them, to much of a chance getting illnesses from buffets. I am not one for having people pawing over food.

I don't drink anymore (again all medical) so as long as water (with ice) can be had that is all I care about.

Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Do you prefer a plated meal or a buffet? If the bar is limited to beer, wine, and a signature cocktail, do you take issue with that?

I had a small wedding at Disney World.  We had a buffet.  There was a lot of food...prime rib, chicken francaise, rice, vegetable, 2 different soups, salad, king crag legs, steamed clams, and a pasta station (had some vegetarian guests).  My husband was very specific what he wanted when it came to the food and alcohol.  We had an open bar.  For me, a plated meal or a buffet is just fine.  I just don't think a buffet is the greatest idea with a very large number of guests.  Can't imagine the lines.  I'm a firm believer in an open bar.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer a buffet ....some things I cannot eat.....I can pick and choose..

Honored Contributor

When our daughter go married, she choose a beautiful venue. The ceremony was outside with a panoramic ocean view.

We provided the wine, but I think it was a full bar. The couple had the option of plated or buffet (several different stations). They went to tastings and decided on the buffet, much to our chagrin.

But it actually was good choice. Because there were several stations, there were no lines. Guests still sat down at chosen tables. The food was excellent and no hustle and bustle of waitstaff.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland