Contributor

Re: At Least I Didn't Burst In To Tears

See, Music is a good healer! That’s one of the many many reasons I teach music! It can cleanse the soul like nothing else!
Honored Contributor

ZoeTheCat

Reading your response brought tears to my eyes, so sad, I would have been over come emotionally when that song played.  I will listen to Eva Cassidy's version as I am sure it is moving, thank you.

Honored Contributor

on the bay!

Love Jazz and blues, Cannonball doing Autumn Leaves is classic!  Thanks.

Super Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Today, as I was driving home, I had the radio on, and "Hotel California" came on.

I was instantly taken back to when I had heard that song playing on the radio in March of this year.

I had traveled to visit my dad at the nursing home that he was in (it was the first place that would take him), and it was lunch time.

I sat with my dad as he nibbled on his food, and this song came on.

It was the last time that we had lunch together.

He died five days later.

The first time I heard it after he passed, I was sobbing, today, I felt sad, bt no tears.

I guess that means that I'm healing.

The Eagles, who sing Hotel California will be in Vegas the end of Sept this year at the MGM Grand.  They are doing the entire Hotel California album straight through, and also doing a set of their greatest hits.  You Father would be honored if you were to attend.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can be anywhere , in a store, driving, at someones house and when I hear Leon  Russell A Song For You, I sob.  Takes me back to 1970's, and a particular person. Also "We're All Alone " by Boz Skaggs.  

Trusted Contributor

I believe that was a message from your Dad today telling you he was thinking about you and that he is OK. That is the way I think about it. I hope I didn't make you cry but I truly believe our loved ones send us messages. Just my opinion, of course. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw wrote:

on the bay!

Love Jazz and blues, Cannonball doing Autumn Leaves is classic!  Thanks.

@spiderw -

Hi! That was @QueenDanceALot  who liked the Cannonball Adderly.

I think the version I always heard my father play was probably the Ray Connif Singers, or Frank Sinatra.

He also had a series called Living Strings-he loved those.

He reminded me of Frank Sinatra because he had that tanned handsome look and he could sing.

At the time, I thought the songs were pretty boring (except for Frank of course).

And Hotel California was played a lot at the restaurant/bar I worked in as a waitress. I love that song!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@henderson -

I am so sorry for the loss of your son.

I know that love and grief will always be there.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I think you have turned it into a warm memory of your dad.  As time passes, I think we do that.  We continue to  love them, even after they pass.  So I think those memories become special rose petals of memory.  Time helps.  We can remember the good, and take the memory of them with us, locked in our hearts and minds.

Respected Contributor

The night I received the call that my dear father had passed I was driving to say my last goodbyes and the song "Leader of the Band" by Dan Fogelberg came on.  I blubbered through the entire song and still do whenever I hear it.  Music can definitely have the effect to recall a specific memory.  My dad wasn't a musician and most of the lyrics don't literally apply, but it's about a deceased father so it hit home. 

God bless our dear departed loved ones.