Honored Contributor

Re: At Least I Didn't Burst In To Tears

@Anonymous032819 Everytime you hear that song it could be a message from your dad.I am sure that he is happy that you are able to think of him and the good memories without all of those tears of sadness.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think we all can relate to hearing a song and having a memory whether happy or sad.  You do heal in time but you never forget, the pain of grief may ebb but the tears still come and go.

My dad passed in early November of 1965 and I remember how my mom loved the song, Autumn Leaves by Roger Williams.  While it is an instrumental (piano piece), there are words.  When I heard the words I knew why she related it to my dad.  To this day I still shed tears when I hear that song for my mom and dad.

Esteemed Contributor

Whenever my mom called me, as soon as I answered the phone she would sing “I just called to say I love you” by Stevie Wonder. Every time I hear the song I start to cry. It’s been over 20 years & the song still gets to me. But in a good way .It brings back memories of our closeness.

My son just asked me if I’d mind if the song is played at his wedding next year,”in tribute to grandma”. I think she would love it!!

Super Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I think we all can relate to hearing a song and having a memory whether happy or sad.  You do heal in time but you never forget, the pain of grief may ebb but the tears still come and go.

My dad passed in early November of 1965 and I remember how my mom loved the song, Autumn Leaves by Roger Williams.  While it is an instrumental (piano piece), there are words.  When I heard the words I knew why she related it to my dad.  To this day I still shed tears when I hear that song for my mom and dad.

Autumn Leaves is such a beautiful song @spiderw.  The version by Eva Cassidy is incredibly moving.  It was a favorite of my former boss’s wife, and when she died several years ago, it was played at her funeral.  She died in late October, and the funeral was held on a crisp beautiful autumn day here in New England.  There wasn’t a dry eye in the church.  Eva Cassidy herself died in her early 30s from cancer.  So very sad.

Honored Contributor

My father died when I was 20.

I still cry if I hear Judy Collins' song "My Father", but I don't hear it so much these days.

I do see my father in my dreams and have woken up crying.

We heal, but we have scars.

Respected Contributor

My late mother loved the song " I Just Called to Say I love You" by Stevie Wonder.  Everytime I hear that song played, my mind goes back to the time when she would sing the lyrics.  I don't cry but I get very emotional!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw -

I think of my father too when I hear Autumn Leaves-one of his favorite songsSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

@spiderw -

I think of my father too when I hear Autumn Leaves-one of his favorite songsSmiley Happy

IMO, the best recording ever of Autumn Leaves.  Cannonball Adderley on sax is so sublime.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tguu4m38U78

Honored Contributor

The song that gets me is "Time to Say Goodbye".  I said it too many times during one short period until I was the only one left.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Song by Mercy Me?  We played that song with a video at our son's memorial.  I always cry when it comes on the radio.

@Veridoc wrote:

@Anonymous032819:

A girl is never too old to be a daddy's girl. My dad was blind for several years before he passed and had to be placed in nursing home. After his passing, every time I heard the song "I can only imagine, what my eyes will see"....I would fall in a sobbing heap. You have a wonderful memory to hold in your heart. Just know that everytime you hear that song and sing it, he is singing with you.

Sending you friendship and (((HUGS)))