Honored Contributor

Associate degrees from Community colleges.

There is an article on the homepage on MSN about good jobs available with an AD. I am all for kids going to community colleges - especially if they are interested in a field that does not require a Bachelor's degree. I have a nephew that is a paramedic and another who is a pharmacy tech, a couple nurses and another who is a legal aide - all have AD from community college. My brother had 12 kids to educate and he really tried to head his kids toward cc. Often, as with nursing , you can start working with an AD and then your employer will pay your tuition to go back and finish your bachelors degree. I originally graduated from a hospital based nursing school (I don't even think those exist anymore) then my employer paid my tuition and I got my BSN. It takes a bit longer , but you are also working and making a living at the same time. In nursing a BSN is absolutely necessary if you desire to advance at all, but an AD is the easiest and most cost effective way to start. I think that sending a kid who has no real career goals to a full college is a waste of money - cc credits do transfer to regular universities if the kid decides on a career that requires a BS/BA but you save a ton of money getting all those basic classes at cc. Also, I think that cc try to counsel and guide students toward picking a career goal earlier because they only have 2 years to complete so it has to be more concentrated.