Valued Contributor

I don't care if it's Urban Legend or not, I live in the far north where snow banks are higher than the cars and because of that I will never have a white car -- they are very hard to see.  I never thought about ashpalt grey but it certainly makes sense to me!

Trusted Contributor

I noticed seeing an asphalt colored car who didn't put his lights on when it was dusk and it was hard to see it.  

Honored Contributor

I don’t know about other states, but CA has a very large percentage of the three shades of gray - light, medium, dark. No one ever gives it a thought, and I’ve never read a statistical report about gray cars being more dangerous.

When I bought a new car last year, I realized that color selections are extremely limited for most cars. White, black, blue, red, silver, beige/gold and gray is about it for popular models.

I wanted red but thought I wouldn’t be able to find one, and my second choice would have been dark gray. I got the red but would still be happy with the dark gray; IMO in my area the medium gray is more invisible than the dark, if that mattered to me, which it doesn’t.

And yes I know that red cars are supposed to be “speeding ticket magnets” - I haven’t found that to be true, but then I don’t drive faster than the flow of trafic to stand out; didn’t when I had a rose gold car either, or a blue one, or a merlot-colored one, or copper.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Lots of roads are concrete, so the asphault color wouldn't matter.

What I find astonishing is that many cars don't have the auto lights.  At least running lights--even in daytime.  And lights that don't turn on when it's dusk --automatically.  

Those are the cars that are hard to see.

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

What I find astonishing is that many cars don't have the auto lights.  At least running lights--even in daytime.  And lights that don't turn on when it's dusk --automatically.  

@Lucky CharmYes! You are right. That particular day I almost hit that car because I made a lane change put on my rt turn signal and looked over my shoulder and did not see him. When he blew his horn at me I was astonished and then he passed me.  But that color the asphalt grey made him invisible.  Never encountered anything like that before not to say it couldn't happen in another color.  

Honored Contributor

@fordtruck wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky CharmYes! You are right. That particular day I almost hit that car because I made a lane change put on my rt turn signal and looked over my shoulder and did not see him. When he blew his horn at me I was astonished and then he passed me.  But that color the asphalt grey made him invisible.  Never encountered anything like that before not to say it couldn't happen in another color.  

I think they stopped equipping cars with turn signals.  Because 50% of all lane changes are made with cars using no turn signal.  Or maybe it's too much work to use their turn signal while texting.

Honored Contributor

Re: Asphalt colored cars

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@fordtruck wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Or maybe it's too much work to use their turn signal while texting.

Obviously, those causing, or almost causing, accidents are those not texting. That’s illustrated in the above post.  

The fact someone says they ‘looked’ and STILL didn’t see a 2-ton motor vehicle beside them is...stunning.  And then blame it on the color is beyond logic.  That driver, who is visually and/or perceptionally impaired, needs to get off the road....now. 

Honored Contributor

What a pretty color!  Dangerous though, especially with long morning and afternoon shadows.

A lot of problems would be corrected if people always kept their lights on.Smiley Happy

Be Safe!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm, I’m not sure if I’m understanding what you’re saying. Do you think every driver, in all weathers and seasons, even sunny days, should always drive with running lights on?

If so...good luck with that. 

Honored Contributor

It’s interesting to me that so much emphasis is being placed on vision - colors, lights, etc - in this thread.

I have just finished taking an online Mature Driver course, and they emphasize over and over again throughout the course that as we age, we lose some visual perception acuity that we take for granted when young.  There are several specific eye/vision conditions that will affect depth perception, perception of color, seeing in light/shadow and high/low contrast lighting conditions, and others are just a result of aging - and I don’t mean 80+, I mean starting at age 50-55+.

So, if the color of cars around you on the road alarms you because you have trouble seeing color difference between the cars and the road, or you think everyone “needs” to have their lights on all the time - that sounds to me like aging eyes, and is something the driver needs to compensate for themselves, as “everyone” doesn’t have those issues.

The courses remind people that it’s their responsibility to compensate, not others. And if it gets severe, to stop driving during the time(s) of day that cause the driving issues - rainy/foggy days, dusk, after dark, etc.

I hadn’t thought of this type of thing being an “aging issue” for those much under 80, but it is.