Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter, my husbands truck is in the titanium and that will be my new color too one day. Our son had the silver Dakota but we upgraded him to the Dodge 1500. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Asphalt colored cars

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Seems to me I heard that red cars are both cop magnets and moving targets because they stand out...

@stevieb That's what every one says...we have owned 4 red cars and have never been pulled over.  Right now we have a red Sentra.

When our 70 year old neighbors bought a red Toyota van her sister told her they need to be prepared to be stopped.  Any cop that decides to pull over a 70 year old driving a van has something wrong with them. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Seems to me I heard that red cars are both cop magnets and moving targets because they stand out...

@stevieb That's what every one says...we have owned 4 red cars and have never been pulled over.  Right now we have a red Sentra.

When our 70 year old neighbors bought a red Toyota van her sister told her they need to be prepared to be stopped.  Any cop that decides to pull over a 70 year old driving a van has something wrong with them. 

If the red van's a rockin', don't come a knockin'!

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Oh what a silly color analogy for a car! I've never heard of anyone getting hit more because they drive a gray car! Really? I don't think so. A driver shouldn't even be on the road if they can't see another car because its a certain color. I've had numerous gray cars, my family members have had many gray cars and absolutely no one has ever been at risk because their car "matches the asphalt"! Unbelievable. 

ITA.

There’s a moving violation somewhere in this story.

Also there’s either a physical impairment or manmade/chemical

impairment somewhere in this story, as well.   If one can not see a

moving vehicle 2-3 car lengths around them, wow...get off the road.

It would be really, really, really hard for this to hold up in court

if a life was lost because of a certain color palette.

Also, if ‘asphalt colored’ cars are that deadly, why are they making

that color available? 

Yeah, doesn’t make sense. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Any cop that decides to pull over a 70 year old driving a van has something wrong with them. 

Why would illegal activity be ceased because of the style of vehicle

and/or age of the driver?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Any cop that decides to pull over a 70 year old driving a van has something wrong with them. 

Pulled over for no reason other than the van is red - illegal activity, different story.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Pulled over for no reason other than the van is red - illegal activity, different story.

...but they don’t do that.  

Silly myth which continues to perpetuate.

Believe me.....police have so, so, so many other things to do besides

look at car colors. 

Trusted Contributor

During daylight, black vehicles are 12 percent more likely than white cars to be involved in an accident. Not only are cars with low-visibility colors more likely to be involved in any crash, they are also more likely to be in a severe or life-threatening accident. Other low-visibility colors include blue, silver, gray, red and dark green. White cars are the safest cars to drive due to their high visibility during daylight and at dusk and dawn.

Insurance companies collect data on these topics all the time.

Image result

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb, I've been told that too.  All my cars have been shades of red!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Asphalt colored cars

[ Edited ]

It's a popular color, my niece bought a new car and it's that metallic charcoal gray color.  It's a sharp looking car!   But my next car, that I'm going to buy in June will be bright red.